• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide what I should do.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

Hello all,

Right now I'm at a decision crossroads after finding my 9500np not handling perfectly the softmod to 9700np. Leaving the 9500np at the plain stock speed in mind just doesn't do justice to the other components of my system such as corsair 3200 ram, epox 8rda+, tbred b 2100, and water cooling for it.

So first off I need your ideas/advice on what would prove to be the minimum video card that would not prove to be a bottleneck to system that I plan on running at least at 200mhz fsb.

Secondly assuming a softmodded 9500np to 9700np would fulfill the former requirment would it also be possible to achieve 9700np like performance on a non-modded 9500np that's o/c? If possible I would rather not want to go through the hassle of getting another card and selling this one.

Finally I've asked this before but I'll ask again if better cooling might get rid of artifacts/checkerboards for the softmodded 9500np->9700np. If you know of anyone who has had success or failure with that please let me know as currently I haven't replaced the stock heatsink/fan or applied any ramsinks yet thereby leaving oipen the possibility of much better cooling. Or with this cooling can I simply o/c the 9500np non-modded and achieve performance comparable to 9700np. Thanks

I'd say that a 9700np would do justice to that system. It wouldn't be the bottleneck...

With a 9500 Pro a 2100+ is a bottleneck.... soo... I'm not sure how much an increase of fps or score you'd get with an upgrade.

As for the softmod... I have no idea.

9500 128bit memory bus

9700 256bit memory bus

soft mod doesn't do poop for the bandwidth just speeds up the card. but it does open up the 4 other pipes which might not work anyways 1/3 chance they will work.

How do you actually test if these have been opened .. i mean.. i've done the bios flash and all.. and its fast.. but :eh?:

Back