• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me name my remastered version of Knoppix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Its a bootable Knoppix CD, but with some added filesystem and network-monitoring tools. All games have been removed. It runs folding@home at startup, and also has seti@home and prime95 clients. I added dbench, memtest86, and hwtools for some hardware level utilities. There are a few dozen scripts to control all aspects of running the distributed computing clients. Samba is functional and easy to configure. Custom settings and even work units in progress can be saved to a pen drive, hard drive, network hard drive, or floppy. It can be installed to a hard drive in about 30 minutes supposedly by using the knoppix install script, and then it becomes Debian.

It's not quite finished, so no actual testing has been done yet, but I should be able to give a link to a temporary host for the iso file in the next two days for those of you who want to test drive it. And I might post some screen shots as well.

Known problems- broadcom NIC (integrated on some kt400 boards) and Nforce2 NIC's are not supported at this time. I will try to add those in a future version.

names-

I'm not sure what to call it. Originally I was going to call it- UberFoldix, UberCrunchix, and UberPrimix depending on how its used. Some other names...

Technix
DCLinux
Foldian, Crunchian, and Primian -again dependent on the user's preferred DC client.
Distributix

Help me out and post your opinion or name suggestions.

Last edited:
Foldux, Folding@Linux, and of course... Rabbit 2.0

rabbit.jpg

I was thinking of different names, but I get stuck at Arkainix:

It just has a good "ring" to it, IMO.

Once it's up I'll try it out on a few rigs :)

I like arkainix... I sounds the best when pronounced and doesn't look "kiddy" like the Uber stuff...

I'm leaning towards calling it Technomancer-Linux, or maybe just Technomantix.

Maybe...
Sans-Diskix
Portix
Shaolinux

Last edited:
how about Spyderix, Matrix, OCLinux,LinuxOC, AntiMicrosoftix, Publix(nevermind thats a supermarket) F@HLinux, ProteinLinux just a few and i want that link as well please also include wine if you can

Wine is included as well as the 3.24 version of the windows folding client and a script to launch the 2 together. Final revisions to scripts and desktop appearance is being done tonight. Should be available for download very soon, say July 7 as a rough figure.

I'm shying away from calling it anything related to folding@home, since it also features seti and prime95 clients.

Edit: Heh, one of my friends just suggested I call it The shisznix.

Last edited:
If anyone comes up with a really good name, they could use your help picking a name for the Gentoo fork.
BTW, this will occasionally come up with an interesting word.

moorcito said:
In keeping with the Linux tradition, I suggest

YALDBOK - Yet Another Linux Distrobution Based On Knoppix

or YALDBOKWHTBBODT - Yet Another Linux Distrobution Based On Knoppix Which Happens To Be Based On Debian Though ;)

Back