• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me overclock :) (FX8150)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, HWMonitor does show the CPUTIN. So no guess work there. The CPU temp is actually being measured from the motherboard socket area by the way. The core temps are reflecting what is actually going on from inside the processor so, if they seem to be accurate the core temps are the critical ones as far as concerns about damaging the processor itself. I would add about 15c to the core temp readings as an offset because of the well-known inaccuracy of the FX core temp readings. That would bring your core temps up to about 53c. Most are recommending max core temp of about 60c and max CPU temps of about 70c for the FX line. As you can see, you don't have a lot of room to play with for overclocking. Maybe around 5c unless you were to get more vigorous cooling. I'm afraid a lot of people are being suckered in by that combo deal of the FX 8150 being sold with a "water cooling kit". That water cooling kit is very little better than the stock air cooler that sells with the same CPU. I would be tempted to RMA the whole thing and get another 8150 without the water kit and then get a Corsair H80 or a Noctua D14 air cooler. But then you are still going to have the issue with the motherboard 4+1 power phase.

Adjustet my coolers and overclocked with multiplyers now to 4,1ghz

So i should keep Cputin under 70c and core under 45c?

And it looks like this (cooler that it was with stocks :D )

4,1ghz.png

and core under 45c? = I really have not had any problem with the CPU Core Temp closing in on 60c.

I ment because of the inaccuracy of the FX core temp reading (that the core temperature is propably 15c higher than hw monitor shows)?

Yeah, those temps are holding up pretty good. As long as you don't start jacking up the CPU voltage you won't see a huge increase in temps. So get what overclock you can get out of the stock voltage. 20 minute Prime95 blend tests are sufficient to tentatively establish stability but you will need to pass a longer one (at least two hours) to feel comfortable that it is really stable at a given overclock level. You might even have temp headroom for a small voltage increase.

Yeah, those temps are holding up pretty good. As long as you don't start jacking up the CPU voltage you won't see a huge increase in temps. So get what overclock you can get out of the stock voltage. 20 minute Prime95 blend tests are sufficient to tentatively establish stability but you will need to pass a longer one (at least two hours) to feel comfortable that it is really stable at a given overclock level. You might even have temp headroom for a small voltage increase.

In order to get to 4,1ghz i allready had to raise cpu voltage to 1.375. Those temperatures i posted last were from that overclock.

But yeah so was i right that i should keep Cputin under 70c and core under 45c (considering that the core most likely is 15c higher than hwmonitor shows)?

If you believe the CPU Core Temp as shown in HWMonitor is 15c too low then the most you should see shown in HWMonitor for CPU Core Temps would be 45c.

Back