• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick my wireless router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got an e2000 w/ ddwrt acting as a bridge, but they did recommend downclocking the cpu and lowering the wifi output to resolve some issues..., if you had problems with linksys before, stay away from them now, as they are belkin owned, and I have no love for belkin personally :)

It does seem the newer Linksys routers are junk, from things I've read about them recently. I have a old Linksys WRT54gs ver7 and it's been a trooper over the last 8 years. Never had an overheating issue nor speed drops. Ands range is good, I helped out a neighbor for a few months (let him use my WiFi) His home is about 350feet from mine and he never had an issue getting a strong signal.

Yeah, I think I will keep rocking my enterprise grade wireless AP... Cisco makes some decent gear (not talking the small business or consumer lineups). If it dies I'll look for something else then :D

Yeah, I think I will keep rocking my enterprise grade wireless AP...

That in part is why I suggested Ubiquiti, they make WiMAX and Wifi routers for MNVOs in the 3rd world. So not only are they enterprise grade they are actually ISP grade routers for almost nothing. The only reason I wouldn't carteblanc suggest them to everyone is that they are difficult to configure unless you are either CCNA/ENT certified or familiar with setting up ARP and Routing tables as they have no default firewall whatsoever unless you program one yourself or provide one. The idea is that you would use a Juniper or ASA grade firewall and use their APs for mesh/wds networking.

Disadvantages aside they are the best APs money can buy short of Cisco's Aironet series. I cannot stress how bad *** they are, you just can't find waterproofed, 1000mw+, bi-directional & parabolic APs that have PoE capability of that quality anywhere, much less for $100 or less!

That in part is why I suggested Ubiquiti, they make WiMAX and Wifi routers for MNVOs in the 3rd world. So not only are they enterprise grade they are actually ISP grade routers for almost nothing. The only reason I wouldn't carteblanc suggest them to everyone is that they are difficult to configure unless you are either CCNA/ENT certified or familiar with setting up ARP and Routing tables as they have no default firewall whatsoever unless you program one yourself or provide one. The idea is that you would use a Juniper or ASA grade firewall and use their APs for mesh/wds networking.

Disadvantages aside they are the best APs money can buy short of Cisco's Aironet series. I cannot stress how bad *** they are, you just can't find waterproofed, 1000mw+, bi-directional & parabolic APs that have PoE capability of that quality anywhere, much less for $100 or less!

I honestly havent looked much beyond cisco since getting my CCNA/CCNA Voice...just love their routers and switches, and by extension, their voip and wireless stuff. Originally the AP was part of my lab, but neededman AP for cheap cause I am going to school full time. So it went from lab to operational gear :)

I'll have to check those out if my Aironet dies!

Back