• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me spend my $$.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts

Well, there doesn't seem to be any lack of "help me build" threads, but I do need help. As you can see by my sig, current machine is pretty old (antique??). I have been window shopping. So far I'm semi-decided on a 5820k, however I've been reading board reviews and looking for compatible ram and...:shock: :bang head
I do plan on using my old Corsair psu (old 850 hx)
water loop (mcr320 rad, mcp355 pump with XSPC res top) I do know I'll need a new waterblock.
gtx 950 2g vid card
case

I'm not a gamer, and other than a Rosetta cruncher (and OCing), my laptop has me covered. Down the road, I may upgrade the vid card, depending on $ and what pops up in the classies. (Vid cards still good for folding and SETI?)
Been reading reviews all weekend, and frankly, doesn't look like any "bad" mobos. But I still have a headache...

For those looking at my sig, the 9550 is not stable at 1 mhz over stock. 2 different boards, 2 sets of ram, different psu. It did run, doing distributed computing projects, at 4ghz+ (under water) for aprox 2 years. I feel the chip has had enough.

Buying new just to buy new is somewhat difficult to suggest a proper build for.

1) uses for this machine?
2) budget? (And don't give that "whatever" crap, everyone has a budget of what they'd like to spend)
3) is water cooling mandatory for this build?

1) use--mainly to play with something newer than 2009. When done exploring, DC cruncher.
2) budget-- 700-1000$ +/- (chip, board, ram, and waterblock. waterblock may push it over, but..)
3)water cooling-- Yes. I have the rad, pump, tubing, but I know the old Swiftech block won't fit on a newer system. Besides, it's much quieter than any high end air I used to have. And I've read the Haswell chips run wicked hot.

Back