• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help my friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickyhoward55

one of my clan mates has the following problem (copied from my forum)

So i try to update my BIOS via floppy, right...

I do all teh stuff ive been doing for as long as i can remember...

Format with teh "create a microsoft startup disk..."

Right its all good still. Download the flash and bios and extract them both to the floppy....

Now i reboot the PC and when i reach the part where it would normally ask me to stick the name of teh flash in, i get "please type the name of the command interpreter, EG: C:\WINDOWNS\COMMAND.COM

OK so ive followed the instructions in the microsoft support pages.. All of them man, and still i get this bloody message :evil:

ok i can update the BIOS via windows but i like the old fasioned way...

Does anyone know wtfinhell is going on here?

I even tried reformating and im still getting it..

The way to the command.com file btw is C:\windows\system32\command which ive tried

Ive got the Asus A8N-SLI Premium

My current BIOS is the 1011.005 which was released without the beta tag which is why i installed it...

That said BIOS is no longer on the download page. The 1011.006 beta and the one before that 1009 are...

Im thinking that the BIOS i installed is screwed up or summet, cus even after i rebooted a new fresh install of windows its still asking me that same thing "cant find command.com" bla bla bla :oops:

The board came with 1004 i think, so ive updated it 6 or 7 times now with out a prob

so i checked he had cleared cmos etc

Yes ive tried that. Even took the battery out for a bit..

Ive just downloaded the ASUS windows flash tool and i double click and it tells me "sorry, no ASUS motherboard found."

HHmmm......... So i go into dxdiag and guess what. The bloody motherboard isnt there. Its just got for the system manufacturer = system manufacturer and for the system model = system product name

I even tried the crash recovery CD from the support CD and that tells me taht the board is = unknown

This is an asus cd with the original Version 1.00 bios on it incase of an emergency and that dosnt work
Im bewildered

sorry for the long post, can anyone help him. thanks

tried formatting a different floppy? or better yet, tried using the built-in flash utility? i think all you have to do is have a floppy with the new bios bin file and hit something like ALT-F2 on POST. that always worked for me. incidentally, the windows-based asus update program has always worked for me, as well.

Back