• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on CPU + MBoard combo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amf666

Hi. I am brand new to over clocking and decided to give it a go after a bit of research. I decided on a P4 3.2E and an Abit IC7-G motherboard combo to start off, both were bought sencond hand from ebay but were advertised as having light use. After a day of trying I couldnt get the system to boot up at all. Everytime I tried to start window it immediately jumped to a blue stop screen. In desperation I went to PC world (i did say in desperation) and bought an MSI motherboard. The system booted up first time with no problems and ran pretty well. I then decided to have a go at overclocking. Much to my annoyance I found that most of the overclocking adjustments were only available to a northwood chip and the only one available to my prescott was the FSB speed. So, on to my questions. Could the Abit board be faulty or is it possible it could be too old to run a prescott, even though the Abit site says it will. Secondly is there any way of releasing these overclocking features of the mother board for my CPU, I really dont want to have to go out and buy a third board, any and all help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like your abit is jacked, foo

For real.

Abit boards generally are used by overclockers, etc. They dont use them in OEM stuff so..... probably someoen had it before you and pushed it really hard

:(

The Abit IC7 series is a good overclocker and works well with Prescotts. But... you always take a risk buying used components off eBay.

Most IC7 mobos need an updated BIOS that supports the Prescott. Usually the Prescott CPU will work good enough to allow you to flash the BIOS. The first thing I would do it clear the CMOS by using the jumper.

Did you reformat the harddrive and reinstall Windows? If not, then that's probably the problem.

Thanks for the help, someone else said i may need to reformat. I dont understand why i have to reformat for an abit board but a cheap asrock board works fine straight out of the box. Ihave loaded the newest bios from the abit site but I still get a blue screen when it tries to boot.

amf666 said:
Hi. I am brand new to over clocking and decided to give it a go after a bit of research. I decided on a P4 3.2E and an Abit IC7-G motherboard combo to start off, both were bought sencond hand from ebay but were advertised as having light use. After a day of trying I couldnt get the system to boot up at all. Everytime I tried to start window it immediately jumped to a blue stop screen. In desperation I went to PC world (i did say in desperation) and bought an MSI motherboard. The system booted up first time with no problems and ran pretty well. I then decided to have a go at overclocking. Much to my annoyance I found that most of the overclocking adjustments were only available to a northwood chip and the only one available to my prescott was the FSB speed. So, on to my questions. Could the Abit board be faulty or is it possible it could be too old to run a prescott, even though the Abit site says it will. Secondly is there any way of releasing these overclocking features of the mother board for my CPU, I really dont want to have to go out and buy a third board, any and all help would be much appreciated.
There was a bios update...was the bios updated for that board.... I have 2 C7's and they run prescootts both run fine.........

amf666 said:
Thanks for the help, someone else said i may need to reformat. I dont understand why i have to reformat for an abit board but a cheap asrock board works fine straight out of the box. Ihave loaded the newest bios from the abit site but I still get a blue screen when it tries to boot.

It's not about who made the board, it's about chipset. If the board you created the windows on was not a late-model Intel chipset, it will have a different IDE controller which may create partitions that can't be read by the controller on the IC7.

Hi guys. Just to update you. The problem was down to the chipset. When I had upgraded previously I had gone from one VIA chipset to another. This time I tried to go to an Intel chipset and it didn't like it. The hard drive has now been formatted and the board is running fine. Now onto some overclocking trials. Any suggestions?

amf666 said:
Hi guys. Just to update you. The problem was down to the chipset. When I had upgraded previously I had gone from one VIA chipset to another. This time I tried to go to an Intel chipset and it didn't like it. The hard drive has now been formatted and the board is running fine. Now onto some overclocking trials. Any suggestions?

Yup, I had the same problem.. went from Via to a Intel 865, had to format... I Kinda figured this.. anytime I switch a MOBO, I always format anyways, but this time it wouldn't even boot until I did..

I think you will like your new board/chipset...a lot..

Check how much my memory bandwidth went up here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=340749

Now I've got this thing up and running are there any sort of standards as to how far I should push it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Back