• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help picking graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jfls45

Registered
I built a new computer and want to add a graphics card. Don't have a favorite graphics brand or type but could use some good advice what to get.

My new PC specs:

i5 3570K (using onboard HD 4000 graphics with dual monitor setup)
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mboard
Corsair 4GB Ram
H60 Corsair liquid cooled
Corsair CX600M PSU

Software I use: CAD, MS Flight Simulator, would like to be able to install new games like BF3 but running in Ultra mode isn't overly important.

Not sure if I should go with AMD Radeon card or Nvidia card.

My budget is around 100 bucks but I could squeeze a little more if need be. I am not interested in paying $225.00 for the latest and greatest so those who are going to reply with that please stop. I just need to know whats the best card and makes sense upgrading from the onboard HD 4000 graphics.

Thanks

Would the 7770 or the 560 cards be much of an improvement over the onboard graphics (HD 4000) I am using now?

Jfls45, please create only one thread per topic. I deleted your duplicate and merged the posts into this one.

The reason why I posted two threads was you have the graphics forum broken up into seperate sections for nvidia and AMD. I wanted opinions from both. Now I am only going to get advice from one group without the benefit of the other because they won't come into this forum.

The reason why I posted two threads was you have the graphics forum broken up into seperate sections for nvidia and AMD. I wanted opinions from both. Now I am only going to get advice from one group without the benefit of the other because they won't come into this forum.
As anhikilator said, there is a General GPU section, which is where I put your thread.

I wouldn't call it misery. It just takes a bit extra effort adjusting settings and such. Not suitable for everyone but, if you don't like to throw money away, you can get better price/performance ratio with an AMD card.

I know there are several suggestions above for cards at the mentioned price range but you have mentioned some very graphics intensive things, CAD and BF3... BF3 can utilize over 2GB of video RAM for 1920x1080 monitor depending on the game settings so unless you really scale back on graphics settings the frame rate is going to suffer with a cheap video card.... The reason I'm making this reply is so that you don't go and spend $100 and be unhappy with the result. If youre on a serious budget you might have better luck browsing the classifieds and picking on a gently used video card for half of what it costs new.

I also think ATI is the best bang for your buck right now.

Back