• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help, signs of deterioration?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

my dad's comp 733 p3 384mb sdram sometimes freezes. the mouse stops moving for like 5 seconds then comes back then like a minute later it happens again. is this a sign of hardware deterioration?

What operating system you running? If it's a Windows based system and is not XP or 2000/NT Server and has gone a long time without being reformatted and reinstalled, it could be your OS. A lot of people seem to experience deteriorating performance as time passes with Windows.

nah man, i just formatted his comp like 2 months ago, windows xp.

if 2000 is more stable (is it?) then should i send him back to 2000?

Is the internals clean? I have to clean out the inside of my parents machine quite regular as they don't have a clue. The amount of dust in the intake fans and heatsinks defy belief. I can drop temps by a good 5C every visit :eek:

Xevuhtess7 said:
nah man, i just formatted his comp like 2 months ago, windows xp.

if 2000 is more stable (is it?) then should i send him back to 2000?

I run XP pro and I had no stability problems (yet).

What happens during the times that it freezes? Is your HD working?

no nothin is going. the mouse just stops for a few seconds then comes back then stops again and it keep repeating

Back