• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With 6600GT cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Little Man

Registered
Hi all. I am currently running an nVidia GeForce 6600GT in my system...My temps are way too high for it though, I am running idle mid 50's and under a load it is upto 100 degrees. Any informaiton on cooling would be greatly appreciated.

My current system is:

MoBo - Abit IS7-E2
CPU - Pentium 4 Northwood 3.0 (running @ 3.4)
Ram - 2 x 1gig GSkill Sticks
Power Supply - 430watt Dual Fan
Heatsink & Fan - TT Big Typhoon
GFX - nVidia GeForce 6600GT
Other Cooling - 3" Nexus Front Mount and Stock back Exhaust

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(While running AquaMark3 and also while playing F.E.A.R. with Riva running in the background I loged tepms upto 100 degrees. I am afriad to burn out this card.)

Also all my wires are wrapped and out of the way for open air flow as well as the side of my case is removed.

*The New Guy*

The load temps seen extremely high! What version of the card do you have, AGP, PCI-E? Also, is anything blocking the fan on it? What are teh clock speeds of it? Also, :welcome:

I have the AGP version, Nothing is blocking it, the whole case is open air...and the clock speed are stock 500/900

thanks for any advice you can give

I have a Leadtek Winfast 6600gt AGP 500/900 and my load temps never got that high...with the stock cooler i got around 68*C which was hot for me.... try reseating ur heatsink, mabey lapping it. OR you can do what i did is put a P4 hs on the thing.... dropped temps fom 68*C stock to 45*C with an overclock of 588/1272

Try taking the pci slot covers out of the back of the comp and adding a fan so it blows across the bottom of the card out the back, it helps quite a bit.

heres my card.

P3110015.JPG

P3110024.JPG

thats nuts, did you have to do any drilling for that? and how did you brace the heatsink without the brackets?

If u don't like the idea of modding stuff, u can just pick up a Zalman VF700 series cooler. I have the VF700 Cu, and I'm getting temps like 45° idle, and 57° full load. This is with the card running at 590/1180. U could also go for a Artic Cooling NV Silencer, those are better than the Zalman from what I've heard.

U can pick the VF700 Cu up for around 30 bucks, dunno about the Artic Silencers.

ya but why would you want to pay 30 bucks for something that idles at 45 and loads at 57 when you could have a QUIET gpu cooler for a couple of hrs of work that loads at 45*C and idles at 30???

Well ND I really dont want to mess with my card that much...it is awesome what you did but I just dont trust myself.

I am ordering the arctic silencer from newegg today, so when I get it I will post my situation.

As of rght now I just installed 2 exhaust fans and I am not running any higher than 98 while playing F.E.A.R.

System Specs

P.S. - 430w
Ram - 2 x 1gig GSkill
CPU - Pent.4 Northwood 3.0(running @ 3.4)
MoBo - Abit IS7-E2
Heatsink/Fan - TT Big Typhoon
Storage - 2 40gig WD Caviars (switching to SATA very soon)
Other Cooling - 120mm intake (front) 2 80mm exhaust (back) and one ghettorigged fan on the back bottom until I get out and buy another
GFX - Evga GeForce 6600GT

Sounds like poor contact...My Xfx with stock heatsink hit ~75C load. I replaced it with a Stasis hs and got temps of 42/55, but it cost $30 (used).

Zalman Cooling

I installed the VF700-AlCu LED on my XFX 6600 GT which lowered temps and increased the OC. Note on installation: it is not requited to install the blue ram sinks, I checked with XFX, teh card stays cool and works just great. Zalman

You should check out your spare parts for an older hsf.I found that a socket 370 hsf fit my pny 5500 w/o any drilling(I cheated & used a twisty tie to mount it,Go Ghetto!!)
No cost & it went on in a matter of minutes.You just have to be willing to give up a slot or two.

Panzerknacker said:
If u don't like the idea of modding stuff, u can just pick up a Zalman VF700 series cooler. I have the VF700 Cu, and I'm getting temps like 45° idle, and 57° full load. This is with the card running at 590/1180. U could also go for a Artic Cooling NV Silencer, those are better than the Zalman from what I've heard.

U can pick the VF700 Cu up for around 30 bucks, dunno about the Artic Silencers.

My VF700 gets here in a coupla' days. It looked like it shipped w/ ramsinks. Did you use them?

FlailBoy said:
My VF700 gets here in a coupla' days. It looked like it shipped w/ ramsinks. Did you use them?

If it comes with the ramsinks, might as well use them right? They don;'t ship the ramsinks for no reason....

Yes it comes with ramsinks, but I didnt use 'em. Reason is they don't fit together with the cooler because the ram is too close to the GPU. Maybe when u mod the sinks they will fit but there won't be much left of 'em for sure ^^

Panzerknacker said:
Yes it comes with ramsinks, but I didnt use 'em. Reason is they don't fit together with the cooler because the ram is too close to the GPU. Maybe when u mod the sinks they will fit but there won't be much left of 'em for sure ^^

Thanks-I couldn't really tell from the pics-but it looked like the Zalman might have made that a that a close fit. What about doing the copper staple ramsink thing and cutting one of the tines off the staples so the sinks look like an "L" ? You think the part that's flush with the RAM will fit under the cooler?

Panzerknacker said:
...but I wonder how much this will affect ur temps :p

Me too, actually. But I already have some Alumina and a Dremel so I think I'll just go for it.

Running at 556/995 right now. I'll see what I can do.

I had some time over the weekend and I have had some success.

I didn't get copper staples. I took a look at the ramsinks and you were right Panzer-they were definitely not going to fit under HSF. So I took a Dremel to them and cut off three rows of fins and then bent the fourth row down a bit. What I ended up with were ramsinks that were sort of wedge-shaped. They came with their own thermal pads but they were pretty thick so I removed the pads and attached the sinks with Alumina.

Btw, there was a separate sink for what looked like a small processor. No problem fitting this sink so I just took it off, cleaned, and re-applied. Forgive me if I'm a bit of a noob on this (this is my first card cooling mod), but what is it?

I had it running at 600/1090, but I was getting artifacting so I settled in on 587/1010. Occasional flickering purple rectangles. Is this the GPU or RAM?

If the artifacting is the GPU then I'll try to bump up the RAM. I've seen some really nice clocks on this RAM. Temps on the GPU are great. < 50c on load.

Even if I don't get too much more out of this, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Last edited:
Back