• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With 6600GT cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
chipzdelux said:
the pencil mod will help you oc some more. look in the volt mod section.

Yeah I saw that and I'm gonna' hold off for a bit until I see where the wall is. Switched to 12v on the Zalman from silent mode. Had some time to play around with it for a bit yesterday and now running at 592/1080. :)

It's your core. 6600gt runs very very hot. The gddr3 will reach 300+ clocks easily and max out near 1.2 on stock....err....well no cooling at all. The core will max out way before then. So squeeze another 100 mhz on that ram and you might get a hundred points on 3Dmark05...haahah..... All this wonderful ocing and I get like 2-3 extra frames on games. Makes me realize I should just go out and buy a 1900xt.

Will Eatforfood said:
...The gddr3 will reach 300+ clocks easily and max out near 1.2 on stock....err....well no cooling at all.

I have some concerns that I didn't do myself any favors by putting the modded ramsinks on the card. And since I used Alumina... We'll see. I've only been tweaking for a coupla' days.

sounds ALOT like your HS isnt seated correctly.

I just upgraded from a BFG 6600GT AGP and was hitting 60C if I didnt have the fans plugged in.

Reseat the HS after putting new TIM on it and your temps should go way down.

Now I have the opposite problem. I upgraded and changed cases and the new case lets the system overheat due to poor airflow. ahh Well time to Dremel till it cools down!

Adragontattoo said:
sounds ALOT like your HS isnt seated correctly.

Actually, I'm sure it's ok. I'm getting <50c on load. Happy about that. I'm more concerned that because I had to mod the ramsinks they may be doing more harm than good (i.e. it isn't 'better than nothing').

Last edited:
the mem on 6600gt gets really hot as well... If you put your hand and hold for like 4 seconds, it might create a small burn. But this doesn't really affect the oc of the card.... Besides...There is no harm in leaving the sinks on if u have them on properly. It might actually help the lifespan of your card. <50c load is really nice tho. With sometimes 600 core and 1200 mem on stock volts, 6600gt is amazing. Reminds of the ti-4200. Have u benchmarked to see if a higher clock on the memory or gpu creates a bigger difference?

Anyways, now GO GAME!!w00t.... I'm on level 9 incursion on FEAR btw. I took a break after I took a long vacation to sleep and chill and catch up on reading. no spoilers plz.

Will Eatforfood said:
...Have u benchmarked to see if a higher clock on the memory or gpu creates a bigger difference?.

A little. I only have 3D Mark 2001se (I know I know...). Stock was around 16,000. Now I'm at about 16,900. Have to get 03 or 05 and do a bit more tweaking.

All in all, for $160 plus $30 for the Zalman, this was one of my better investments. Great card.

I get the same temps on stock cooling (XFX 6600GT AGP) that you with ur P4 heatsink...

30C idle, 45-48C load

Back