• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with a lga1155 benching build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Of those, I'd almost certainly get the OC Formula.
It and the MVG are both very good, but the MVG seems to die a lot.

Of those, I'd almost certainly get the OC Formula.
It and the MVG are both very good, but the MVG seems to die a lot.
Thanks Bobnova
By saying 'of those' does that mean there's a board you think may be a better choice?

There's something to be said for the EVGA FTW thing, similarly the UD3H has seen high praise.

I'd get a OC Formula if I had the money.

Thanks again Bobnova. Now I just need to sell off a pc before new stuff starts showing up at the door.

I have the ud5h and it's kinda limited for bclck...as has been reported in some reviews.
My 2 cents. I wasn't familiar with the oc formula, gonna give it a look, a friend might get one soon.

Good luck with your rig!

Added the tentative parts list to the first post. Looking for thoughts/comments/recommendations on graphics card (which 7970 or maybe better to go with cfx7950's, sli670's, maybe gtx690, just go with the cards I already have and wait for next gen cards to appear, get a 2nd gtx570 for sli??), ram, my proposed cooling, etc

Again...primary purpose for this build is hwbot points.

Input appreciated! tia!

I don't see much reason to get 3-4 60GB ssds in Raid0. The only benchmark that benefits from that is PCMark05. I would just get a single 60/120gb and it be a benching drive that will have multiple OSes on it/etc.

For video card, get a 7970, it offers better performance when overclocked than a 680 thus having a much greater chance at boints.

For RAM I'm not sure if you will be able to get a Sandy Bridge to run at above DDR3-2400, Ivy should be able to, but probably not SB (without being cold) as their IMCs are not as strong.

Janus- thanks. May still go 2x60's just because they're cheap now (and wouldn't mind decent pcm05 scores hehe). Thinking XP SP3 / Win7 x32 dual boot. Ram...will look around and research a bit more...maybe pick up some moocow sticks.

PolePosition- Thanks. Great (?) minds...have been eyeing that exact card.

Now...on graphics for boints...have a few cards at home...570, 5770, 460 768gb, 8800gt...would it be worthwhile picking up a 2nd one of any of those cards and running cfx/sli until the next gen cards come out or better to just go with the 7970?

Actually, I now like Bobnova's 7970 lightning after taking a look. For $50 more, its hardly a stretch...
If you're gonna run the ultimate best in the OC formula board, you might as well run the best in a GPU card.
The lightning also compliments the OC formula board much better too with the yellow and black.

Janus- thanks. May still go 2x60's just because they're cheap now (and wouldn't mind decent pcm05 scores hehe). Thinking XP SP3 / Win7 x32 dual boot. Ram...will look around and research a bit more...maybe pick up some moocow sticks.

PolePosition- Thanks. Great (?) minds...have been eyeing that exact card.

Now...on graphics for boints...have a few cards at home...570, 5770, 460 768gb, 8800gt...would it be worthwhile picking up a 2nd one of any of those cards and running cfx/sli until the next gen cards come out or better to just go with the 7970?

You should run those through all benches and try to get good hardware points out of them, then grab a 7970 Lightning or Gigabyte OC Windforce as suggested for globals and future gaming affairs :p

Agreed...the 7970 is the current badboy card. Guess the real question is does anyone have an ETA on the next gen cards from either camp? If they're coming in the next couple months, figure I'll spend time benching all the older cards then upgrade. If it's going to be sometime next year, will grab one of the 7970's. Would kind of expect someone to release a new card before the holidays?

Thanks ivanlabrie...don't expect to be doing any gaming on this build (except when lan gaming at my house but then I wouldn't be using it hehe)...that's what the 3dv rig in my sig is for

As an aside...think I'll format and install a stripped o/s on my ~8 year old laptop...never know...maybe some points to be had there ;P That and steal my daughter's e6400 and take that for a spin on the p5q-pro.

Last edited:
hmmm....see the same gtx 460 768mb card for $75. Think it's worth picking up to bench them in sli or better to spend the $75 elsewhere?

I'd spend elsewere...voltmod your 8800, grab a dice pot and some dice :p

Nice gaming rig, never looked at your sig lol Insane...

As for the laptop, stripped xp and do some runs there, you can get good points if the cpu is sort of 'rare'. I have several gold cups cause of rare chips and oem stuff :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention something...You can get a Kuhler 920 or a used h100 and mod it to fit your 7970. That would net some good results!

thanks again ivanlabrie. I'll get a waterblock for the 7970 and put it in the loop...the cooling capacity of the (tentative) setup should be fine for the cpu and vga.

Been toying with the thought of going cold. DICE seems a bit of a pita...thinking of actually getting a phase change unit like this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6..._2011_939_940_AM2_Xeon_CE-48-S-1C.html?tl=g49

Haven't done my research/homework yet and wouldn't be able to swing one for a couple months but certainly interested in learning more about it all. Seems much easier?

Back