• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with video streaming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PicodeGallo

I've had problems with video streaming since having a wireless network (years). I'm plagued by constant pauses during streaming, like the network can't keep up. Wired was never a problem, but I don't like wires and don't care to lay them. I'm not well versed in networking, so I come to you guys.

I use a D-Link DIR-655 router atm. I have some decent wireless adapters, and can connect at max speed. Distance between them isn't a problem, nor are physical obstructions. I think I've fiddled with every option in the router, and while I've minimized the stuttering and pauses, I can't get rid of it. Music works great, but video (HD & SD) is a problem. What do I need to do to get flawless video streaming from one PC to another?

Get a WiFi finder app, see what channels the people are on around you, and pick one in between.

What is your speed on the WiFi?

Are you wire less g/n?

I do have a wifi finder app, and to this date, channels haven't mattered. My connection speeds are 130Mbps, the max of the router, & I use wireless N.

By the way, I recently moved and there are a ton of wireless signals around me now. Does it matter, with wireless N, what channel I'm on? I mean, there aren't specific channels for 'optimal' performance are there? For example, channel 4 or 7 would be ok if not better?

That... That's what I just asked/said in my post...

Most will be on 3 channels. Pick one in between them and see if that helps.

I was just checking, it was for an unrelated issue. Just to give some background, even when interference wasn't a problem, video streaming was. So, as I mentioned, video streaming has always been an issue.

I guess in short, is my router sufficient for the job? I don't want to spend money when it's not necessary.

Back