• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey guys, I have a few quick questions. I am going to be building a new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok let me state this first. I have not timed anything with a stopwatch or anythingso I'm just going off of gut feeling and observation. But my load time is a bit faster but nothing to get excited about. I do notice faster game loads but again, nothing to get excited about. Games did not install any faster and for a bit I was thinking longer but that could of been cause I was expecting it to be uber fast.

All I am saying is I don't see the benefit to the price jump and disk size decrease. Maybe it's just me and I'm the lone person not happy with the speed. But i was looking for a huge difference. I would attribute most of the speed increase over my mechanical drive to be the fact that its Win7 and a fresh load over my old XP and 6-8 month old bogged down cluttered install. A fresh OS is always faster. I am going to realign and do a firmware update in the next day or so just to see if that makes a difference.

I'm not saying there is no difference in speed, just not much from what I can feel when using the PC is all.

On a side note.... When I said these drives are still not ready and are not worth it... I fully stand on that statement now more than ever because I have to do so much to the drive to get it to perform where it should in the form of alignment and firmware update that it shows very clearly that these drives are not close to being ready.

On a side note.... When I said these drives are still not ready and are not worth it... I fully stand on that statement now more than ever because I have to do so much to the drive to get it to perform where it should in the form of alignment and firmware update that it shows very clearly that these drives are not close to being ready.

so your blaming the ssd for the fact win7 isnt ready for prime time? win7 is suppose to see that it is a ssd and auto align the drive. i have seen many show that it doesnt in its current form. that is not a fault of the SSD just cause we have to do a bit more work. let me ask you this, if ocing requires tweaking just like the ssd then why do you do it?

well ssd's are being used in laptops now so they must be ready for prime time. this is another case of programmers needing to get software in order first before things really take off...

always two sides to every coin....

Software support ALWAYS lags hardware. Don't know about you guys but I never aligned my drive. I don't have the kind of boot times some of you have but I find my general performance once into Windows is lightning quick. Haven't changed chache settings or anything, everything is stock.

I think you keep driving right on past the point every time evil. Win & has nothing to do with it. coding and programing is not the issue.

When I asked the question about what mechanical drives to buy all I heard was "SSD IS THE ONLY WAY" "IT'S SO MUCH FASTER" blah blah blah. And all I said was I don't see it. Aligning the drive has very very little to do with its speed. Firmware might, but from my HDtune bench's I doubt its going to show much of a increase than what I have. I know what others are getting and mine is only lower by a little bit. Still not enough to see that much of a difference every day in real world situations.

And please don't ever compare SSD's to OC'ing again. When I OC something it is because I want to increase the speed from its rated spec and squeeze every drop of performance out of it. Not try to get it close to what it is SUPPOSE to be at out of the box. If that were the case then we would all be complaining about how our I7's and I5's and AMD's aren't any where close to rated spec's right out of the box.

Seriously, far as I'm concerned things feel snappier under an SSD. Thats all that matters to me. I didn't go with an i7 but I did go with an SSD instead an I'm happy. Right now I'm wishing I'd waited a bit longer for a Core i5 though :bang head

Back