• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi, just wondering what the symptoms of overheating are...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mogwai

Im using a 1Ghz AMD, on a KT7 Raid Motherboard, 128Mb of PC100 Ram, Win XP, and I recently upgraded to a GeForce 4 MX440 from a GeForce 2. Since I got the new card I've been having trouble with my PC locking up after about 20-30 mins use, sometimes it will unlock again for a min or two, but it usually freezes up totally in the end. A couple of people have told me that I might need a better cooling system to go with the new card, so what I'm really wondering is if the freezing/unfreezing thing is what happens when a PC overheats. According to the BIOS it doesnt go much over 57 C, but I've heard that might not be accurate. I installed Win XP aound the same time as getting the new card too.
Thanks for any help :)

what brand of card was it? I had problems from switching from an else winner II to a visiontek geforce 2ti. three out of four times the computer would not boot. i upgraded my motherboard, and that fixed the problem. you might also try upgrading your bios.

win XP needs more then 128mg of ram to run. That would explain the lock up, because windows runs out of ram so it frezzes.

Hmmm, I did have 256 Mb in it though, and it was still freezing. However, 128 Mb was a PC 100 Dimm, and the other 128Mb was a PC 133 Simm, so i thought that might be causing the instability, so i took the newer PC 133 stick out. Could it be that it just couldn't use half the ram when I had both of them in? On startup it was detectiing the full 256 MB.
The new card make is Mentor, I think its a bit of a cheap brand.....

57 is a pretty high temp, especially if read in the bios because the system hasn't been under load for a least 30 sec or so if not at all if your checking those temps on initial boot up. take the side of the case off or add a fan somehwere and see if that helps the problem. if it does you found your problem :)

that 57 may not be too acurate unless that the temp bios is showing on the restart after a freeze, it should be pretty close then. you should get Mother Board Monitor to see if your temps are rising as you begin to freeze up. ( http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ )

also, 57 really isnt all that high for an amd. it is for the cooling nuts around here but then they arent happy unless they're under 35. i'm running a 1.4 t-bird and i hit 57 all the time (i'm at 59 right now, no problems)

personally, i'd look at the drivers for the card. try searching in the video/sound card portion of the forums to see if anyone else has seen this kind of thing. other than that i'd just play around with any drivers i found, that 'driver rollback' that xp has can be really handy.

good luck

Shuruga2 said:
also, 57 really isnt all that high for an amd. it is for the cooling nuts around here but then they arent happy unless they're under 35. i'm running a 1.4 t-bird and i hit 57 all the time (i'm at 59 right now, no problems)

lol, you're not a cooling nut yet you listen to a vantec tornado the whole time your computer is on ;)

edit: oh yeah, I don't think not having enough ram is causing the lock ups, and it is perfectly fine to run pc100 along with pc133 so you can go ahead and stick your other 128 back in(assuming neither of the sticks is faulty ram that is)

pby5cat said:
win XP needs more then 128mg of ram to run. That would explain the lock up, because windows
runs out of ram so it frezzes.

WinXP will run on a P233 with 64megs or ram. I have installed WinXP Pro on at least 4 machines with 128megs of ram with no problems.

I am pointing my finger at the KT7. I have had bad experiences with VIA chip sets in the past involving video cards. Infect I had the same problem when I bought my GF4. I had a VIA chip set. I had to turn the AGP multiplier down to 1 to get it 100% stable.

Ride

Last edited:
There is a new BIOS available for Abit boards that solves a problem with Win XP and GeForce 4 vid cards...Although it is supposed to be the GF4 4X00 cards with the compatibility problem, I would guess that the problem applies to the MX series as well...
What BIOS are you running on that KT7???

Back