• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temps with raystrom and 5820k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davekusa

This rig is 4 years old. CPU temps are at 70C while folding. 30C idle. I just got done cleaning it, so no dust.

5820K @3.6 stock voltage
Raystorm waterblock
240 radiator (2 fans)
mcp35x pump (2200 RPM)

Is it me or is this high temp? I have some Indigo Xtreme thermal paste I could try.

I haven't really messed with this computer since I put it together. I don't remember where It was originally.
Do to surgery I have allot (my wife say "TO MUCH") time on my hands.

Any ideas or input?

My rule of thumb is maintenance at least every 2 years for a pc. Thermal grease will dry out over time and in some climates will dry out much faster than others. For liquid metal I like the idea of adding more every 6 months as it absorbs into copper (my IHS just sopped it right up after 2 months) until the absorption rate settles in. Higher quality thermal grease will last a bit longer than stock many times but time kills them all.

UPDATE: SMH
I ran this rig for a couple of days after the remount. Clocked it to 4GHZ and temps hit 90C.
Today I received the indigo xtreme kit and pulled the block off. I started looking at orientation and debris before pull apart. I looked at the mounting surface and something was a little weird.
Something was sticking up on the mounting surface.
I never removed the plastic that protects the block. I feel like an idiot. The plastic was so perfectly sealed on the mounting surface that you couldn't see it. Cut so perfect it didn't stick out.
I missed it when I installed it the first time and on the remount.
What is really odd when I first put this together 5 years ago I had it running at 4.4Ghz with no issues.

I attempted to do the silver surfer mod, cleaned a little bit of debris. Did the goofy mount and Indigo Xtreme TIM. 60C at 4ghz.
I had issues with the mount and might try and go back to AS5.

Back