• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HIS AMD / ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

O n y x

Registered
Hi

Can someone tell me if its possible to clock a HIS AMD / ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB ?

HIS_ATI_Radeon_HD_6950_282.jpg

And if so, how do I do it ?

And would programs like Trixx work on a HIS even though there made for Sapphire ?

What settings are best for this card ?

And once fully over clocked what will it be ? ( e.g 6950 Overclock ----> 6970)

Yes it's possible and fairly easy to overclock a 6870.

Yes, Trixx or MSI afterburner will work with any brand.

You can overclock in the CCC (catalyst control center), or use a different program (like one of the above mentioned).

I myself use MSI Afterburner.

Overclocking is pretty much the same in any program.
Try increasing the GPU/Core clock by 25Mhz increments (Go ahead and start out higher then 25Mhz more then stock as it should work), and then testing to see if it's stable (Run a benchmark, play a game for even just a minute to make sure it doesn't crash). Once it crashes, lower the clock speed a bit and see if it is then stable.

Once you find a stable GPU/Core clock, do the same thing to find the maximum memory clock speed.

Couple more things- If you are using a program besides CCC, be sure to disable Graphics Overdrive in CCC or it can interfere.

Set the "Power control settings"(CCC) or "Power Limit"(Afterburner) to +20%. I'm not sure if Trixx has one of those.

Hope that helps :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906
That stuff still is creating headache. Afterburner wont anymore allow or support "unofficial overclocking", means past the limits of Catalyst. My Catalystm limits are very low. Stuff like that doesnt do anything good to AMD and can break theyr neck. Apparently Unwinder is scared that AMD will roast him.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906
That stuff still is creating headache. Afterburner wont anymore allow or support "unofficial overclocking", means past the limits of Catalyst. My Catalystm limits are very low. Stuff like that doesnt do anything good to AMD and can break theyr neck. Apparently Unwinder is scared that AMD will roast him.

I heard about that....but is that in the newest Afterburners?

I have 12.3 Drivers, and am using Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 14.

I don't have the limits of Catalyst.

EDIT: I downloaded that Afterburner beta a month ago...and that's what I'm gonna keep using since I haven't had any problems with it.

Back