• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homemade HS's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcEmAsTr

Hi all, im new to this forum and im new to overclocking, i have a geforce 2 mx 64mb and i want to overclock it to gain experience as im getting new pc components after Xmas.
Is there a way of making homemade heatsinks and how?
i dont want to do watercolled as it seems a bit complicated and too be honest quite unnessecary for my needs.

any advice will be greatly appreciated :D :)

You need to use metal of some sorts which will increrase the effective area of the component that you want to cool so that more heat can be transported from the heatsource to somewhere else.

So basically get some metal, make fins on it and stick it on with some thermal compound.

ive heard paper clips work, does it have to eb a specific type of metal (obviously heat conductive) but i mean copper or aluminum?

all thoughts are appreciated :D

dont bother trying to make a heatsink, its a lot more difficult than you would think.... i suggest go to svcompucycle.com and get yourself a goldengate and get a slim 60mm fan, and drill mounting holes and bolt it on... or use a 1u cooler and do the same

maskedgeek is right,

making a heatsink is a hard and timeconsuming task, and i can promise you that a shop bought heatsink will do mush better,

1U coolers are designed for server applications where space is a huge issure. and example of one is here: http://www.overclockers.com/articles553/

however i doubt that you will be able to fit a 1U heatsink onto your gf2 because they are usally very small cards. the best cooling upgrade you can do is put a small fan on the heatsink - after all it is only a geforce 2 mx and WILL NOT overclock that far

Back