• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Badly is this ISP owning me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its not a 5mb line they provide you with. All they do is uncap your speed from 1.5 to 5.

When you are getting 1.0 mb to begin with or worse I dont see how uncapping will resolve anything.

They "fixed" the internet today, increasing the bandwidth to 20 mbps on the line running into the complex.

As of 12:55 AM,

http://www.dslreports.com/im/56837577/647.png

So unleashing .3 mbps at a 1.5 mbps or 5mbps cap wont make much difference eh :p

And as to getting another provider, i talked to the head IT guy that runs all of the complexes under this company (he called me personally today to get my assesment of the situation, I wouldnt be surprised if i know more about the state of the internet than anyone actually working here locally sadly) and he said it is an issue of the fiber being laid down by shentel and how they would not allow cox to use the fiber it laid down or something along those lines...

I have given up hope on getting this resolved. I think I will just go without internet for a year until I move out of this place. Maybe go outside or something :p

So in other words, cheat the apartment complex and force them to drastically raise up everyone's rent to compensate for installing a faster internet connection?

You define forcing someone to live up to their contractual obligations as cheating them?

Interesting.

On a side note, I would suggest that you may have been so busy deconstructing my post that you didn't bother to actually read it.

I believe that any misconceptions you may have can be best explained by the way you appear to have simultaneously missed parts of my post AND read things into it that aren't there to begin with.

So please... let me simplify this for you.

I am telling him that his suspicion that the ISP which the complex has contracted with is unlikely to meet their obligations, this conclusion based on their described behavior and what I know the costs would be for them to actually provide what they are supposed to.

I have furthermore suggested that they make a demand on the ISP that is so unpalatable that they are willing to either release the apartment complex from their contract or at least allow individual tenants to seek free-market solutions elsewhere.

By the way...
Yes. I do think that I know what Multi Protocol Label Switching is.

As to whether YOU really understand what goes on in layers 1, 2 & 3...
This, fortunately; is not my problem.
However, I will observe that you may not have given sufficient thought as to what a network or an internetwork actually IS.

Actually they can. The building owner probably doesn't want a hundred different lines coming into the building.....and I can't blame them. As far as they're concerned, what you have is significantly higher speed than dialup, therefore it qualifies as "high-speed" internet.

so very true in the end :( their building - you signed the contract, which i am sure had fine print somewhere.

... he said it is an issue of the fiber being laid down by shentel and how they would not allow cox to use the fiber it laid down or something along those lines...

They may not have a choice in that, based on certain provisions of the telecom act of 1996. However, that gets into lawyers and that gets into money.
Plus of course, without seeing the contracts in question, nobody can say anything with any certainty.

I believe your assessment about getting this problem fixed being impossible is correct. Not because it isn't fixable, but because the owner of the complex would have to spend money on lawyers.

And of course YOU don't have standing to go to even small claims court, because YOU PERSONALLY didn't contract with shentel.

300k isn't that bad, I had DSL around those speeds for a while and it was bearable. Before you get all lawyer happy and start demanding guaranteed bandwidth (it's UP TO, not guaranteed 1.5m, intelloyalist) why not find someone who pays the $20 for upgraded service and run the speed test. Might be worth the money..

I got tired of reading the rest of the posts so sorry if someone already mentioned this. I am also at work and dont have tons of time. Here in PA though we have some law (cant remember the name) that basically states it is illegal for any rental agency or person to restrict any service that can be provided to you. It was originally meant for apartment complexes that wouldnt let you install a satellite dish even though the service was cheaper. The law made it possible for you to be able to mount a satellite dish to recieve that service whether the apartment complex was providing free cable or not. Anyway the way the law was written you are basically allowed to have any service (electric, phone, ISP, tele, etc...) connected at your residence as long as the company is able to give you a connection. Contracts with apartment complexes and what not can not stop this. If a landlord in any sense tries to restrict you from these services and you have proof to verify the denial of service the landlord can receive thousands or dollars in fines, imprisonment, and the provider itself ca recieve fines as well.

Maybe they have a law like that down there?

Do you even know what MPLS is? It is used to connect company sites in a virtual cloud - similar to what frame-relay does. It has nothing to do with DIA.

Thats not all it does ;) But you are right it has little to no bearing on DIA. MPLS is on my list of stuff to start toying with in the near future.

200 complexes @ 1.5 (300M) into 10 meg pipe is a 30:1 over subscription ratio. My current over subscription rate for DIA is 37:1 (which is a little high I'd like to see it closer to 30). But really it comes down to proper traffic management and actually more importantly proper monitoring, they should be able to tell when the pipe is full and investigate the issue before it becomes a problem. Without knowing the topology I'm assuming that 10.10.128.1 would be the first hop past the complex. Since there is a latency issue there *I* would start looking at the network infrastructure in the building. It is possible that it is not a BW issue but instead a PPS (Packets Per Second) issue that may be choking a switch.. BT is notorious for high connection and PPS count.. Throw on a bunch of winblows netbios chatter and other garbage and even throwing in an OC3 (155M not 1,050M) or tossing on QOS isn't going to help. :shrug: It would take someone with access to the network to step it out and really determine what the best course of action is, throwing BW at a problem is not always the best solution...

Mepis, I believe what you are refering to is OTARD which I don't believe would have a basis in this. I'm not up on the exclusivity laws but I believe that the building owner has the right to sign a contract to provide service with whomever they wish and when you as a tenant sign with the owner you may be locked into that provider. The owner may allow other providers to come in but have a clause barring any holes being drilled in the building.. No holes = no access = you aint getting squat..

Tracing route to ns1.broadbandsupport.net [209.55.5.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 19 ms 65 ms 222 ms 10.10.128.1
3 70 ms 46 ms 63 ms 64.238.167.121
4 231 ms 45 ms 456 ms 64.238.167.125
5 228 ms 50 ms 21 ms 64.238.167.225
6 35 ms 28 ms 35 ms 64.238.167.233
7 34 ms 39 ms 35 ms gru-shentel-gw.customer.gru.net [209.251.128.245
]
8 67 ms 205 ms 31 ms co2.gig.gru.net [209.251.148.2]
9 61 ms 117 ms 77 ms atl.gig.gru.net [209.251.148.9]
10 217 ms 89 ms * gi1-17.mpd01.atl04.atlas.cogentco.com [38.104.0.
97]
11 203 ms 104 ms 45 ms te3-4.ccr01.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.1
13]
12 219 ms 151 ms 105 ms te9-4.mpd01.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24.
9]
13 300 ms 247 ms 79 ms vl3492.mpd01.dca02.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.8
6]
14 133 ms 51 ms 165 ms vl3495.mpd01.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.5.
62]
15 78 ms 139 ms 79 ms ber1-ge-7-43.virginiaequinix.savvis.net [208.173
.10.181]
16 234 ms 126 ms 180 ms cr1-tengig0-7-2-0.washington.savvis.net [204.70.
197.242]
17 * 50 ms 86 ms cr1-pos-0-0-0-0.Atlanta.savvis.net [204.70.192.5
3]
18 280 ms 328 ms 146 ms 204.70.197.157
19 92 ms 95 ms 142 ms 165.193.46.244
20 104 ms 107 ms 112 ms 165.193.46.229
21 146 ms 202 ms 83 ms ns1.broadbandsupport.net [209.55.5.10]

Trace complete.

This is after they doubled the BW, taken at 9:02 PM.

I am very interested in what you said about it being a problem with the PPS going into a switch. I could see this being a problem since the company that set it up is absolutely horrible.

Is there anyway I could figure out what the first few IPs are on that list? Is it possible that they used inadequate switches/routers to handle all of the traffic?

How would QOS help? Is that simply for web browsing?

Thats not all it does ;) But you are right it has little to no bearing on DIA.

DIA is an acronym that stands for Dedicated Internet Access and that's all it is.

MPLS is a service that can "wrap" other protocols in such a way as to allow detailed traffic engineering and QoS to be carried out regardless of the protocol being used.

It was intended to bring the benefits of circuit switched networks (In terms of control) to Packet Switched networks. It replaces ATM and improves on it in large part because it is not tied to a fixed (53 byte) cell, and has significantly less overhead.
It can be used just about anywhere, because the "Internet" isn't some mysterious "cloud" that is "out there" somewhere. The Internet extends all the way to the NIC that is in the back of the computer that you are using to read this thread. It is literally "Internetworks" and consists of ALL the individual networks all over the world, no matter how large or small.

The "Cloud" was never meant to be anything more than verbal or written shorthand for those parts of "The Internet" that lie outside of the Autonomous System (AS) or Systems that two or more people are discussing; thereby simplifying the discussion.

Back