• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does this look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryan Grubb

Registered
I think that i have finally settled on a setup, but as some of you know i am a complete newb with gaming computers and anybodies input is welcome just say something i am VERY willing to learn but i have a max money limit of $2300 i had to save a little more that's why i have randomly came back tight money situation but as i only have a emachines and a single core 5 year old laptop i really need a descent pc.
This is a complete setup with shipping added in already what do you guys think?

---Thermaltake Armor+ Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply
---Cold Cathode Neon Light
---700 Watt -- XION PowerReal XON-700P14N Power Supply - SLI Ready
---Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600( i am not going to have enough money to upgrade for a while so i thought this would be better than the E8400)
---Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
---Nvidia NForce 680i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0 Dual PCI-E MB
---4096MB [1024MB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module, Corsair Value
---2x Nividia Geforce 8800GT 512mb
---eVGA Brand Video Cards [SLI enabled] Powered by NVIDIA
---500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]
--- CD/DVD Drive -- 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
--- CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive -- 16x DVD-ROM + 52x32x52 CD-RW Combo Drive
--- 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System
--- sound card = 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
--- Network = Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card
--- Sceptre 24" LCD 16:9 Wide Screen HDTV Video & PC Monitor Support Resolution 1920x1200
--- PS/2 104 Key Windows 98 Keyboard
--- Logitech Optical Internet Mouse
--- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium OS 64 bit

GRAND TOTAL - $2284

I will mostly be using this rig for playing hardcore FPS and big strategy games like medieval 2 where i will be commanding like 25,000 troops so i don't want lag to be a issue will this rig handle it and will the processor handle a high enough framerate without a overclock because i don't know if i will take the risk i am about to graduate and go to college and this will be it for 4 years(don't have the $) Sorry for the long post but thank you for your time and consideration!

First don't put a quad core on the 680i. It'll run stock to maybe 3.2G if that is your objective but won't overclock much more. Either step up to the 790i or get an Intel chipset (P35 or X38). The 750i FTW could be a cheaper and better option but I'm not sure how it overclocks a quad.

I think I remember the GTX doing as well as two GTs in SLI but you need to double check me.

I have no experience with Vista 64bit but make sure it'll run the games you want. I know Win XP64 is very limited in what it'll run as far as games go.

Enjoy! :beer:

Last edited:
First don't put a quad core on the 680i. It'll run stock to maybe 3.2G if that is your objective but won't overclock much more.

bah, i have 3.5 stable and gotten up to 4.11GHz on my 680i. i can get get 3.93GHz stable but i don't want to reduce the life that much...

i wouldn't get that water cooling kit, its most likely crap, as with most kits.

also why are you buying the armor + with a psu, just get it without, should be cheaper.

as for 64bit vista, i don't like it to much, it doesn't run very many programs, especially overclocking ones. i would go with 32bit.

bah, i have 3.5 stable and gotten up to 4.11GHz on my 680i. i can get get 3.93GHz stable but i don't want to reduce the life that much...

There are a few around but most don't. A few working well versus many that don't isn't my idea of a good path forward, unless he has a lot of money to play with. If you're willing to guarantee it for him maybe it isn't a bad path forward. He'll get to experiment a lot.

There are a few around but most don't. A few working well versus many that don't isn't my idea of a good path forward, unless he has a lot of money to play with. If you're willing to guarantee it for him maybe it isn't a bad path forward. He'll get to experiment a lot.

o, i know some ppl are having bad luck with it i guess i got lucky. this was my first build too.

ya maybe better off to go with the 790i or x38 or p35 chipsets.

I have no experience with Vista 64bit but make sure it'll run the games you want. I know Win XP64 is very limited in what it'll run as far as games go.

I am currently running vista ultmimate 64 bit, and will run any game I try with it, including S.T.A.L.K.E.R, half life 2, command and conquer 3, age of empires III, battlefield 2142 to cut the list short... I have had no problems with any applications or anything either, it can run 32 bit programmes fine as far as my experience goes. The operating system is faster too as it can use more of your RAM the more you have unlike 32 bit versions, like it will use more of your RAM if you have 8Gb than 4Gb, with enough left for anything else.

I am currently running vista ultmimate 64 bit, and will run any game I try with it, including S.T.A.L.K.E.R, half life 2, command and conquer 3, age of empires III, battlefield 2142 to cut the list short... I have had no problems with any applications or anything either, it can run 32 bit programmes fine as far as my experience goes. The operating system is faster too as it can use more of your RAM the more you have unlike 32 bit versions, like it will use more of your RAM if you have 8Gb than 4Gb, with enough left for anything else.

Useful info for me Badbonji! Thanks.

It must automatically run them in 32bit mode. How much memory does the system use? I've heard Vista is a memory hog but if I heard them I don't remember the numbers. With DDR2 being pretty reasonable priced right now I wouldn't class that as a big deal.

Have fun w/ your first build. I would have to say that you'll probably do just fine without liquid cooling- unless you just want to have fun putting it in! I would suggest just buying a good air cooler for now until you get more comfortable with building and convert later if needed.

You'll get a better overclock with an intel chipset ie. x38,x48,p35. Additionally Radeons use less juice than the Nvidia.

I just did my first build a day or two ago. I spent hours cursing Microsoft Vista during the install before my brand new raptor hard drive took a puke. Swapped out the drives and everything was so easy after that.

ok is this any good? Asus Silent Knight AL CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
and maybe i will go with two 8800gts in sli would that be worth the money?

Is this power supply good enough for two GTS's? And i also could put a GTX in it and later on down the road add another but i need to know if it is as good as two GT's. Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply SLI Ready ((or should i just stick with the stock 420w to save some money do you think ii could overclock a E8400 to 3.5ghz with stock psu?)

I have decided i am going with a E8400

(i know i am rambling but i am lost)

Last edited:
Useful info for me Badbonji! Thanks.

It must automatically run them in 32bit mode. How much memory does the system use? I've heard Vista is a memory hog but if I heard them I don't remember the numbers. With DDR2 being pretty reasonable priced right now I wouldn't class that as a big deal.

Well I think it uses around 800mb - 1.2Gb including the sidebar, but any application is limited to max 2Gb I believe so still plenty to run games on with just 4Gb memory, and I have 8Gb G.skill DDR2 1066Mhz :)

take half of the money your going to spend, put it in the bank.

then buy a computer.

This isn't a bad thought really. You're trying to stretch a computers usefulness of 4 years. I think you would be better off, buying a $700 dell with monitor upgrade to 24" and a $300 video card. Do this again in two years. You wont have the hulking badass of a computer you would of the bat, but in two years you'll thank yourself.

Back