• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good of an OC should i get with a LOCKED barton 2500+ and good ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomaHawk47x

this is what i originally planned my upcoming rig to be:

-Abit NF7-s Revision 2.0
-AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 2500+
-2x256mb (or 2x512mb) Mushkin Level 2 Black PC3500
-Swiftech MCX462-V w/92mm Vantec Tornado and Arctic Silver 5

lets assume that i get a locked barton. im pretty sure i could bump the fsb up 200, resulting in 3200+ performance (200x11). but with the ram ill be getting, could i get a higher fsb without lowering the multiplier? for example, that memory and board could most likely handle 225mhz fsb, BUT can the CPU handle 225x11? that would be 2475mhz.

amd locking the 2500+ has basically made me consider going for the 2.4/2.6c option from intel. i dont want to shell out the $$ for high quality ram if the cpu cannot handle its fsb with the locked multi. i will not, however, jump to watercooling.

HI

I too am looking to put together a new comp Very Soon esp after what I have been reading about the locked AMD CPUs.

Q - Where is the "database".....I'm new here :) sorry for the newbie type question!

Also
I am thinking of putting together:

MOBO = Chaintech 7NJS Ultra Zenith
CPU = AMD 2500+
RAM = Corsair XMS Pro (partly due to the lock->higher FSB prob...Partly due to the funky lights)
I havent decided exactly which one to use yet...
My choices are:
TWINX1024-4000PRO XMS4000 1024MB 3-4-4-8 (2 X 512MB)
TWINX1024-3200LLPRO XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-2-6 (2 X 512MB)
TWINX1024-3200C2PRO XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-3-7-T1 (2 X 512MB)
It have been reading that the 3200LLPRO is best due to the Low Latency it will give better results...anyone tried these out?

What kind of posible max FSB are we talking about here...??

AGP = ??? I'm not a gamer ie. I rarely play games but would like to run a 2 headed system and watch DVDs surf a bit of WEB & Graphics work ... any suggestions

Has any body used the Chaintech MOBO is it any good for OC-ing?
If not any suggestions....
The reasons I am thinking of the Chaintech is it has the remote control which will be awsome for watching DVDs etc and it has SATA and Raid I have checked and you can connect 6 Drives up to this in total which is a plus.
I was also thinking about the SOYO Dragon...but it has no remote!

Abit or Soltek nForce2s are the only mobos reported to unlock all CPUs without any wire tricks (unless they're physically locked).

Abit nForce2 is the best overclocker while Soltek is the best value overclocker.

RAM is hit and miss except for twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200 reported to hit at least 220 "every time". I'd like to know of other RAM sticks guaranteed to hit that high as well...

nForce2 chipset is excellent, with some mobos offering great extras too, but as far as hard core OCing is concerned, it's the Abit or Soltek if I were buying...

Ooops!

Forgot to ask.....What cooling do you guys recomend?

I was thinking of using a Zalman Flower cooler initailly as I want it to be silent when I am watching DVDs etc
Might move on to water...Later, if its runing hot!

Thermalright heatsink.
Thermaltake variable speed Smart Fan 2.

I was reading a MOBO round up review and I think it was the SOYO was pulling some pretty fast scores....
The Abit and Soltek were not doing so well...but I could be wrong...that was a couple of days ago :)

I kinda mentioned that I don't play games much...
The comp is for general surfing/ graphics work/ DVD watching ... ripping etc so it needs to be FAST ie. CPU/Memory/HDD must work together very fast.

Well my locked Barton 2500+ was able to do 200x11 and even 205x11 on default voltage. I've been having some problems at 210x11 though, but hopefully they'll get sorted out soon!

This is with a MSI K7N2 Delta-L and 2x512 of Mushkin PC3200 Black Level One, btw :)

c627627 said:
Abit or Soltek nForce2s are the only mobos reported to unlock all CPUs without any wire tricks (unless they're physically locked).

i believe they are physically locked, not even wire tricks work.

I still don't get people who say "mobos unlock CPUs". Every single Tbred and older than 39 week bartons are totally unlocked, the fact that some motherboards can't manipulate the 5th multiplier bit doesn't mean that it can't unlock the chip, it just means it can't go to both high and low multiplier range
the Abit and Soltek can manipulate that bit, therefore have full control of any multiplier set in the BIOS. There is no unlocking or anything taking place.
And yes, you can only use unlocked chips, if u put a Palomino XP in it, it will not be unlocked.

lazer said:
Well my locked Barton 2500+ was able to do 200x11 and even 205x11 on default voltage. I've been having some problems at 210x11 though, but hopefully they'll get sorted out soon!

This is with a MSI K7N2 Delta-L and 2x512 of Mushkin PC3200 Black Level One, btw :)

is it the ram thats limiting your fsb, or the cpu?

TomaHawk47x said:

i believe they are physically locked, not even wire tricks work.

quote:
Originally posted by c627627

I think thats what he ment by saying "except phsically locked chip"

Chad

skinart said:

quote:
Originally posted by c627627

I think thats what he ment by saying "except phsically locked chip"

Chad

i know thats what he meant, whats your point?

I dont know man lol, ive been drinking i got lost in the convo.

sorry my bad

Now let this be a lesson to all the dangers on drinking and browsing forums!

Just because you can close one eye and then be able to read the text dosent mean you can make a reply that makes any sence!

Chad

skinart said:
I dont know man lol, ive been drinking i got lost in the convo.

sorry my bad

Now let this be a lesson to all the dangers on drinking and browsing forums!

Chad

heh...i recall someone on these forums buying a 3200+ from newegg while drunk.

anyway, i WAS pretty confident that i could reach 220-225 fsb with Mushkin lv2 Black pc3500, IF i could lower the multiplier to around 10....that way the cpu would be running at a more feasible ~2250mhz. assuming that the ram and board can handle 225mhz, do u think the barton could handle a clock speed of 2475 (225x11) with that cooling? id be a little annoyed if i could only touch 200-210 fsb, even though that matches 3200+ speeds, considering the amount of $$ id be spending on high performance ram. should i risk it and go 2x512mb of the mushkin, or hold back and get 2x256mb mushkin or a 2x512 of a lower-quality ram? btw, i dont think id risk buffalo, since there are reports of it not having bh-5.

I wouldnt take any chances when it comes to ram my friend, I myself would deffenatly pay the extra and get the good stuff :)

Chad

hitechjb1 said:
Impact of Barton 2500+ w/ locked muliplier on overclocking

If there is no workaround for the locked Barton, these would be the scenarios:

1. It would mostly affect users with KT266A, KT333A motherboads, since those boards can achive max FSB around 150 MHz and 190 MHz respectively, due to 4:1 and 5:1 PCI lock, .... As a result, a Barton 2500+ with 11x multiplier, the max CPU overclocking frequency would be 1650 MHz and 2090 MHz respective. These number are way below the norm of 2.2 - 2.4 GHz for Barton 2500+.

2. It would also affect users using extreme coolings. Assuming they are using nforce2 which can do 220 MHz FSB on the average, and as high as 240+ if using enough Vdd, Vimm and chipset cooling, and "good" RAM, ... So the Barton 2500+ in these systems with 11x multipliers would be limited to overclocked frequency of 2420 MHz (220 FSB) to 2640 MHz (240 FSB). Not 2.7 - 2.9 GHz as hoped for. One would need a Barton with 13x multiplier to achieve 2860 MHz running 220 FSB.

3. For air cooling using a good nforce2 motherboard such as NF7-S rev 2.0, whose FSB averages around 220 MHz +- 10 MHz. The Barton 2500+ should still be able to run at 220 x 11 = 2420 MHz, which is above the norm 2.3 GHz for Barton 2500+. At FSB 230 MHz, which is doable, the Barton would then run at 2530 MHz.

Now the burden becomes putting more demand on the FSB, memory, and how to tune/optimize the FSB reaching 220 - 230 MHz, so that the motherboard, good memory (modules with WinBond CH5/BH5 chips) and FSB are not holding back the Barton 2500+ due to the fixed multiplier 11. If one can only achieve FSB 210 MHz, the Barton would be running at 2320 MHz, which is still above the PR rating of a 3200+ AMD processor.

To achieve 2.3 - 2.5 GHz speed for a 2500+ on air, a copper HSF such as SLK-800/900/947U and a high CFM adjustable fan such as TT SFII would be the choice. It is doable with a TT SFII fan running 3000-3200 rpm at which the noise should be acceptable for 24/7 run. Barton 2500+ at 2.3 - 2.5 GHz can run few degree C cooler and less power than a Tbred B 1700+/1800+ DLT3C delivering the same overall performance.

So I would say at multiplier 11x, currently with high end air cooling, for system w/ nforce2 rev 2.0 board, there is not much an impact for 24/7 usage:
- The impact is at most 12% (2200 MHz at stock FSB 200 MHz) on CPU frequency from the best Barton 2500+ overclocking on air (assuming 2500 MHz). Even in this worst case situation, it is already running as a 3200+ CPU.
- An average system at FSB 220 MHz can run Barton at 2420 MHz (about 3% off the best Barton at 2500 MHz on air).

Last edited:
TomaHawk47x said:

is it the ram thats limiting your fsb, or the cpu?

Good question, I'm still working on it :) The ram has been testing fine all the way up to 215 (ddr 430) at 2-3-3-11. But my CPU has to have 1.8v to run at all on 215x11 so far and it goes up to 70C! So I've got it backed off for now while I try out some slicing on the case to let more air get in.

If it turns out I can't get past 210x11 that is good enough for me I suppose. I read that 2.3-2.4ghz is about all you're going to get on air cooling anyways with the Barton 2500+

i would not run my kt266a at 150 fsb...it makes the hdd write itself into corrupted death. 142 is the max i go with mine ----> 37mhz pci bus is pushing it. on the plus side the agp bus increases to 74mhz. this ups gfx performance alot!

At 2420MHz I'm using the stock 11 multi even though my barton is unlocked. You just need very good cooling so you can handle high vcore - slk-800 or better.

Back