• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much can I overclock this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ventro

I was wondering whats the most I can overclock this build while keeping its life span relativity the same?

• CPU-Intel Core i5 4670K
  • RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB)
  • GPU-EVGA GTX 760
  • Motherboard-MSI Z87-G41
  • HDD-Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
  • SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • DVD Drive- Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
  • PSU-Corsair CX600

I have the same processor, your motherboard has a better 87 chipset to mine which is a 85, straight to the point, I have overclocked my I5 4670k to 4.5ghz which is stable under many hours of stres testing, my cpu cooler is a Thermaltake CLP0605 NiC F3, In my opinion this cooler is fantastic alongside antec formula 7 thermal paste, like bamato said, dont attemp overlcoking with a stock cooler as it will heat up to much,

My overclock setting are
CPU Ratio: 45
Core Voltage: 1.250v

the heat under stressing is just under 80

hope that helps :comp:

Without an aftermarket CPU cooler, you won't get much (if anything) more out of your CPU.
However, with a good cooling system (air or water) you *could* clock as high as Fanto has, but everyone's system is different and each chip is unique and behaves differently. Is it worth buying a better cooler? In my opinion, even if you weren't to overclock, a better cooler is always a wise investment. If not for lower temps, then lower noise (and they look nicer than the stock coolers).

I disagree, an aftermarket cooler is completely unnecessary if you don't overclock. 4.3-4.5GHz is the typical range for high end air cooling (about $80). A $30 cooler will get you 4.0-4 1GHz.

Knufire is right, if there is no overclocking, the standard cooler does the job, if you overclock thats when you get a new cooler

Somebody else said the Noctua NH-D14 would be a really good choice, will that be good for my build?

Somebody else said the Noctua NH-D14 would be a really good choice, will that be good for my build?

If you're planning to overclock to 4.3+, then it's a good choice.

I got mined used for $50 which was a good deal though. If you're buying it for the new price ($80), I'd get the Phanteks TC14PE, it's just a tad better.

Back