• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much FSB can a DDR2100 handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not all no.it isnt the chipset that makes a mobo a great one.its whats built around the chipset.
my only advice in buying a great high fsb mobo is do your reseacrch,in reviews,other members results,and your own testing.

any mobo can get a good review without doing high fsb speeds.believe it or not some people like other features besides high fsb.

and as of yet like i said before only 3 mobo makers have high fsb mobo's 170 fsb+.asus,abit,epox. might be others out thier but i dont have that much time or patience to research everything.

btw lazlos mobo is a high fsb good example.i think 200fsb+.

I have Micron PC2100, running at 3.2vDimm I can get 178Mhz Cas2 Turbo or at cas2.5 the best I have hit is 206FSB!!
In comparison, my DDR333 (made by TtMC whoever they are) will only hit 175mhz cas2.5 at 2.8v!

Ive got the soyo kt400 and My max fsb I can hit is 190, I do think my problem is my ram and not my mobo since the system is only unstable when playing games and when it crashes it gives me memory related errors...also when I run 3dmark2k1 and XP pro hardlocks when it reboots it says that the problem has been linked to certain memory address locations so Im pretty sure the ram is screwing me over.

Btw from my experience the soyo is a nice board, pricey but you can sell that sigma sans box (the memory card reader) for around 25$ on ebay so you can get the board for around 125$ if you really want it. Only problem is it only hits 1.85 volts...but im glad since I dont really want to go past that with air cooling...and if I had more I know id use more.

My old generic 2100 wouldnt budge past 161 at cas 2.5....sucks since its so easy to pump the fsb when you can unlock chips.

Currently my 1600+ is at 10 x 166....waiting on some new ram to try to go higher...its pointless to try now.

micron pc2100 cas 2.5 @ 200 mhz (400 ddr) fsb @ 2.8vdimm was stbale for 30 minutes or so , runs all day @ 9x170 with the least agresive timings

attachment.php

I ran my Crucial PC2100 at 180Mhz CAS2 on an Epox 8K3A+, 3.1vdimm. However on the 2312 BIOS it would only do 180Mhz CAS 2.5. Still rock stable at those speeds though.

A dude I know over at AMDForums has his at 187 dual channel in an 8RDA+ :D

It is the only Crucial product worth buying. Their 2700 and 3200 RAM are overpriced junk.

Latency > Frequency

For all of you who think frequency is a greater factor than latencies, please read the following (old) article:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/latency/

This should clear up any misperceptions you have about latencies. Also, I realize the article is OLD (August, 2000) but their conclusions remain consistently true, even though new technology has increased the actual usage of the memory bandwidth.

Also, this is only consistent for pre-pentium4 architechtures, and all AMD athlon architectures. The p4 shows, with rambus, that increased frequencies do not often outweigh the added penalties of latency, but sometimes do. DDR performs on par with Rambus, even though rambus runs at much higher frequencies.

Also, a bit more on topic, my Crucial PC2100 can do 166mhz at 5-2-2-2 timings, with 2.8v vdimm. Conversely, it can also do 180mhz at 9-4-4-3 timings, but performs horribly by comparison. Even going to 175mhz at 7-3-3-2.5 is slower, from a benchmarking perspective, than 166 @ 5-2-2-2, and in real-world usage, games and some applications load slower with the higher latencies... alot slower. Windows XP loads 4 seconds faster with 166@5-2-2-2 compared with [email protected], and 9 seconds faster compared with 180@9-4-4-3.

Read the article, and pay very close attention, and you'll understand why Latency > Frequency, up to a 15mhz (+/- 5mhz) difference.

Enjoy!

Methusela

Back