• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to best apply artic silver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I suppose if you're going to reference an article, at least read it 1st. But, if thats how much you're supposed to use according to those pics in the article, I have been using a little too much. I've been itching to reapply it anyway.

Alien1099 said:
I stand corrected. I didn't see that part. The last time I looked at their instructions was when I was working with my XP3200 (which has an exposed core). I didn't realize they had seperate instructions for processors with an IHS. Maybe I'll reseat my Zalman CNPS9500 tonight since I'll be making a side panel fan hole for my video cards, though I doubt it will make much if any difference, but it's worth a shot.

I really don't think you'll see a difference. in fact...in my case I saw better performance outright with spreading it...can't really say for the long term after set-in tho.

terran2k said:
I suppose if you're going to reference an article, at least read it 1st. But, if thats how much you're supposed to use according to those pics in the article, I have been using a little too much. I've been itching to reapply it anyway.

I had read the article, apparently just not all of it. The last time I'd read it was a couple of years ago when I first got my XP3200 (which has an exposed core). I could have swore that they said you should spread the compound out. So I then looked at the instructions and sure enough that information was there. The only problem is a couple pages down it has information regarding IHS equipped processors which I hadn't looked at.

Anyway, I admitted I was wrong in my post above your's.

Steel23 said:
rice grain in the middle...the ehat and pressure of the heatsink spreads it better...then anyone could do by hand...doing it by hand has a very good chance to create air pockets...unless both mating surfaces are perfectly flat..ive used the rice grain method on ihs many times...its alost always perfect...its a ***** without a blow dryer to remove the heatsink from the cpu...that lets me know its on there correctly

agreed... i do about 1.5 grains of rice for a nicer spread... i put the hs on and give it a good forcefull push and some spinning action to spread it out... and it never fails to pull the cpu right out of the socket on both my S478 boards. First time i removed the hs with the cpu along with it i nearly **** my pants... but then i realized that it was fine i literaly had to slide the cpu off the edge of the hs because you just couldnt lift it off.

Two step method

I use a 2 step method:

1. Apply a rice grain dab to the cpu core and install the HS.
2. Remove the HS and clean the cpu core. I remove any excess around the outline of the cpu core. Then use a razor blade to smooth the AC in a thin layer on the HS. Then I replace the HS and go.

This results in a very thin, uniform layer that has never failed to work.

I use a plastic card and spread it out as thin as possible on the CPU. I also take a bit of AS5 and rub it into the center of the heatsink so as to fill any micro crevices it has.

Back