• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to identify R360 in 9800 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lifthanger

Hi.
Is there a way, like comparing designs or something, to know wether a radeon 9800 pro has a R360 chip or not?
Do these 256MB DDRII cards always have the new core?
What about the Sapphire Atlantis 256MB DDRII 9800 pro ?
Has 2.26ns Samsung mem
f1_12_s.JPG
What about this design?
12_1.JPG

Help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:
The bottom one typically has the 360 core. The only way to know for sure is to pop the heatsink off and take a look.

Edit: Let me add that the bottom one is also the XT pcb :)

im pretty sure ive read about some programs that can tell you what core but to be 100% you have to take the heatsink off and look at the core

ATITool will tell you which core you have. Also, last I knew, they switched back to DDR from DDRII for the R360, so if you have DDRII you know it's definitely an R350.

thanks for your infos.
I'd know how to find out if the card was mine, but I want to buy one ;).
If DDRII is a sign of 350 than the sapphire is R350.. hmm
but the other one has ddrII ram, too...
damn this is like a lottery

all right, I've bought the card on the second picture.
I'm pretty sure this is an XT with a pro bios.
Just gotta wait until its shipped..
thanks for your help!
:beer:

Thanks!
These black, little chips are missing on most 9800 pro layouts, so I guess they are used to provide current to the new GPU.
Is there a thermal diode (famous LM63) placed on your card?
Same question, different version: Does your card support overdrive?
This card was 230€ in ebay.com. In ebay germany, you'd have to pay 260€, for a second hand 9800 pro and up to 350€ for a XT.. so I've just saved 120€ (150$)
:D
Maybe I'm lucky this time... my 3 months "old" 9600xt was crap..

I bought the 256MB BBA at newegg, which is really an XT waiting to be let loose ;)

I have overdrive and temp monitoring. As I type this, the core is 55C.

congrats :)
and thanks, because I've bought the card following your recommendation (and some researches done by myself)!
I don't know anything about core temps on these cards, but my 9600XT with VGA silencer is at 28C at the mo :p .
I guess the VGA silencer Rev. 3 wouldn't fit on this 9800 pro as its XT layout ?!

btw: which bios did you use to flash your card?

Last edited:
Here is an extensive BIOS collection :)

http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/bios.php

I had the 2.5ns Hynix ram, so I used the BIOS that matched that:
ATI - 9800 XT 256 MB - 2003-10-03 15:07 - 2004-03-14 11:51 - 412 / 365 - (Hynix 2.5)

When you get the card, run ATItool first to make sure it will handle the 412/365 jump that the new BIOS will enact. i found my card handled 430/390 without artifacts, so I knew I was in the clear ;)

Last edited:
thank you once again.
I'm not sure yet, wether I should flash the bios or not... I guess the power of a 9800 pro is enough for almost any task.
Maybe I'll flash it, when a vga silencer and ramsinks are applied.

If it is truly an XT with the 360 core, you WILL need the vga silencer, but you WON'T need ramsinks. They may help some (like 10 MHz at best), but they aren't required. It's up to you really, but I don't have them on mine at present, however I am cutting some....the hacksaw and chunks of a large Slot-A heatsink are on the patio as I type this :p

I've already ordered some copper bga sinks.
If my VGA silencer rev. 3 fits, I'll apply it at once, as the stock cooler seems very cheap to me :). Did you try to overclock your card? Is it neccessary for actual games?

I overclocked mine to 430/390 for benching, but I didn't try to push it.
You will not need to overclock it for current games. When you get it and see it's performance, you will absolutely love it :D

Back