• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Make a WiFi Signal Booster for a Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heatheredge1909

Your wireless router can create a wireless network throughout your house and allow you to access computer media from anywhere in your house. However, for people with larger homes, some rooms might not get a strong signal

How to Make a WiFi Signal Booster for a Computer???

I've been struggling with this one for a while now. The best option is purchasing a repeater (if you need recommendations, maybe the other guys can help because I'm not sure what is good) or repurpose an old wifi router as a repeater/bridge. Pretty much all the other "signal boosters" amount to putting tinfoil on old television antenna: pretty much a placebo.

Of course before you make any purchases, there are free things to do like optimal router placement, switching to less congested channels (or using the 5ghz band if that is an option) and just plain making sure your router supports the distance you are trying to cover.

I've been struggling with this one for a while now. The best option is purchasing a repeater (if you need recommendations, maybe the other guys can help because I'm not sure what is good) or repurpose an old wifi router as a repeater/bridge. Pretty much all the other "signal boosters" amount to putting tinfoil on old television antenna: pretty much a placebo.

Of course before you make any purchases, there are free things to do like optimal router placement, switching to less congested channels (or using the 5ghz band if that is an option) and just plain making sure your router supports the distance you are trying to cover.

I like this course of action first, myself. Make sure you can get all your current system has to offer. Otherwise everything you pile on a broken system won't deliver to expectations either. My $.02

I third this.

Speaking of (sorry to hyjack), does anyone know of a good program to test WiFi signal strength for Windows so one can change router channels ? Preferably freeware ?

Speaking of (sorry to hyjack), does anyone know of a good program to test WiFi signal strength for Windows so one can change router channels ? Preferably freeware ?
Not sure how you would test from Windows I guess? I normally just use one of the myriad to be found in the Google Play Store to check signal strength of the AP and then use Speedtest.net to check the connection speed from within Windows

That should do perfect, thank you. Found out that most routers in the street use channel 1 for some reason (they are mostly from different providers) while I was on 6, so tried all the way up to 13 and got a nice boost on it.

Honestly i just put multiple access points around.. i have 3 Ubiquiti Access points around the house with zero hand off enabled.... works perfect. if you have the ability to do that... i would suggest it.

Back