• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Mount a Crystal Orb on a Northbridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abevick

Any suggestions on how to mount a Crystal Orb on the chipset of an Abit BD7-RAID mobo? The mobo itself does not have any holes or structures to use to afix the Orb over the chipset and hold it there with sufficient pressure. Crazy Glue, thermal adhesive, et.al., seem too permanent a solution but may be the only way to go. However, I don't want to damage this expensive board getting this $10 fan off, should it fail in the future. Thanks for any help...

If you dont want your bond to be that permanent, you can use the frag tape that came with your chrome orb. Of course you will be giving up some of the performance of your chrome orb using that stuff. You should try the Thermaltake Tiger (I think that is what it's called) HSF combo. It's made specifically for i845 chipsets like that on your Abit BD7-RAID. I believe Newegg is selling them.

or you could mix some Artic alumina epoxy with regular artic alumina, that way the epoxy will be a little diluted. BTW, with a CORB replacing my stock NB fan i am able to go from 180 fsb to around 185ish.

Back