• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to select a heatsink thats right for you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra (Socket 478, A, 754)

Hey Guys. I am currently in the process of upgrading from an AMD 2200+ to a 3200+ 400fsb..WOHOOO...sorry..lol..My question is, the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra (Socket 478, A, 754) will fit it..correct? and my other question is, will it provide good cooling. I'm not a lover of the stock heatsink and fan that AMD provides us with because AMD runs very hott as it is. I'm not going to be overclocking but I just want my computer to run cool (temp) and be very quiet. I was reading the sticky and you said it was very quiet and the site said it was noiseless when in silent mode. That is very kool but when in this mode, does it still provide good cooling? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

-gatcho

I dont think there's a question regarding "heatsink fans" that was not answered by this thread!
Great Info SewerB!!!!

Thanks for thanking the time to come up with it!!!

Okay, in the second post the 'Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra' with the 92mm fan on it, what about the 'CNPS7700-Cu' with a 120mm fan? Logic says bigger fan, better cooling, but is this the case?

I want quite on demand, and good cooling. I am currently useing the stock HSF for my A64 3000+, and getting about 34c idle (which is good IMO)... I want to improve that, lower my noise, and do some minor OC'n.

Oroka Sempai said:
Okay, in the second post the 'Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Ultra' with the 92mm fan on it, what about the 'CNPS7700-Cu' with a 120mm fan? Logic says bigger fan, better cooling, but is this the case?

I want quite on demand, and good cooling. I am currently useing the stock HSF for my A64 3000+, and getting about 34c idle (which is good IMO)... I want to improve that, lower my noise, and do some minor OC'n.

I have an update on my main rig which is currently out of commission I will post it as soon as its back working. So give me a week or two.

nice post. great for beginners to computer building who aren't sure what to look for in a heatsink. Very in depth, scientific, and informative

does anyone know if the thermalright si-120 is any good? it's the same as the xp-120 but with a large gap between the heatsink and the fins, it's not solid in between.

drunkn.bear said:
does anyone know if the thermalright si-120 is any good? it's the same as the xp-120 but with a large gap between the heatsink and the fins, it's not solid in between.

Sorry guys I've been busy with trying to get into college that I havn't had much time to finalize my changes. I will put it up as soon as I have enough time to finish it.

lol, I currently have 2 92mm tornado's in my comp. Both on a fan controler. One's on my heatsink and the others in the back. My heatsink fan runs at 6400rpm constant...loud as hell.

Need a light on ,...

I really liked the post on sinks,... Thank you.
But right now I am having a bit of trouble looking for a high performance cpu sink for my Supermicro X5DAL-TG2 Mobo. I am building the machine in Cooler Master CMStacker super tower so I don't have any space problems that a server would have. All socket 604 sinks are made with the server confines in mind. I am a fine metals fabricator and could easily manufacture a 604 style mounting bracket to mount one of the 478 through 940 sinks to spot,... but which to choose that might fit with two to consider space for?
I will be using a Quadro FX4000 for the graphics and would like to run two 3.2Ghz processors with about 4Gs of memory.
Any advice to lend?,... I would be open ears for sure, I want this machine up in ASAP if I can.
Thanks in advance for any response,...
ThurmoNuke.

nice one but it'd bit outdated, need a bit updating with current HSFs. but good job.

Back