• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to test motherboard/ power brick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

Have a mini PC that I think the motherboard has died in. I have a volt metre just wanting to know how to test the power brick to make sure that isn't faulty then how I go about checking the motherboard to establish where things have gone wrong. Board doesn't power on at all, have done all basic diagnostic checking stuff so its 100% a hardware issue.

Cheers,

Bandit.

You can test the psu with a multimeter by jumping a ground with the power on pin. There is a sticky in the psu sub forum about this. You will probably have to double check the pinouts for your particular psu, but that info is generally available with a quick web search

You can test the psu with a multimeter by jumping a ground with the power on pin. There is a sticky in the psu sub forum about this. You will probably have to double check the pinouts for your particular psu, but that info is generally available with a quick web search
He doesn't have a typical PSU, he has a mini PC which comes with a brick type (think laptop) power cord.

Those can be tested even easier. The inside of the barrel connector is positive and the outside of the barrel is negative (or vice versa.) just throw one probe down the middle and hold the other on on the outside while the meter is set to test DC voltage

Just stick one DMM probe inside the connector while holding the other on the outside of the metal plug. However, do NOT do this if it is a "dell" style which also has a very thin pin inside of the female connector. If you aren't sure, post a picture of the male end of your power brick. (the end on the brick, not the PC)

Power brick checks out, how would a novice check the board? power from the power brick is good, but looks like the board receives no power at all when its plugged in, no fans spin now power on light or anything.

Back