• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to troubleshoot high cpu temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

personguy

hi there.
just joined, first post.

i've been reading online for hours and hours, trying to get a good grasp on my first OC.

when running cpuid HWMonitor and Core Temp on the default build, i found i was already getting nothing cooler than 60C when idle, so i started to scratch my head and wonder.

i did some mild OCing from the bios and booted back into windows to find that now my temps were between 90 and 100C (!!!)

then i remembered how, when cleaning and changing some hardware in the tower i'd removed the heatsink, which hadn't gone well (tbh), and i also hadn't reapplied any thermal compound.

so i did some more research then went out today and got a Nano Diamond compound with >3.8 W/m-K conductivity, applied it, and re-seated the cpu.

i booted into bios, changed the settings back to default, and watched the HW monitor (still in BIOS) climb from 50C to 67C within less than two minutes of booting.

so, with fully knowledge that i haven't divulged any other specs, i'm simply wondering: how inaccurate is "inaccurate" when threads mention the thermal sensors being not so trustworthy? also, how do i know if i've re-seated the heatsink correctly? i realise there are several kinds of heatsinks, but i don't believe any of them, when installed correctly, should be able to be lifted out with a gentle tug (which mine always could, hence the original removal).

anyone care to take a stab at this?
or do you need more info first?

i have been searching, both in here and in general on google, but, well, even searching the term "temperature" in OC.com doesn't yield any pertinent results that seemed to address this (amateur) issue.

i could dig more, but i've been reading all day so i thought i'd start a thread.

thanks!

Welcome!

1. The bios has a slight load in it... that said, 50-67C is WAY high for just sitting in the bios.
2. No heatsinks, when mounted properly will simply 'lift out with a gentle tug'. Even the crap stock intel locks in to position.
3. Yes, more information, like your hardware and coolers you used would be most helpful.

To me, it just seems like improper mounting and/or TIM application.

sorry, i should at least mention:
this is an intel e5300 2.6Ghz with all PC2-5300 RAM (not ideal for OC, but i wanted to see what this setup could do)

also, the room i'm in with the machine is absolutely FREEZING cold. no threat of heat in here. i've read a lot of threads about water cooling and extra fans/holes, etc, but i figure (at least so far): in a room that's so cold that i have to wear layers of wool socks just to keep blood flowing to my feet, good airflow through the chassis should suffice enough for now ;) (honestly, if i don't leave the heating on for at least 5 hours, i can see my breath in here)...

Welcome!

1. The bios has a slight load in it... that said, 50-67C is WAY high for just sitting in the bios.
2. No heatsinks, when mounted properly will simply 'lift out with a gentle tug'. Even the crap stock intel locks in to position.
3. Yes, more information, like your hardware and coolers you used would be most helpful.

To me, it just seems like improper mounting and/or TIM application.

thanks for the quick reply!
i'll gather the specs and post pronto.

quick note: just fired up Core Temp again, and though i thought i had unchecked the option to "Display the distance to TjMax," it was actually still checked, which means the 65C i was looking at in windows (when idle) was actually around 39C.

still, sitting idle in BIOS was reading upwards of 65C, so...

(those readings are while currently running 220x13 @ 2.9Ghz with ~1.3 core voltage)

here's my info (from dxdiag) :

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7360
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM

RAM are Samsung PC2-5300 and Nanya PC2-5300

oh yes, the heatsink is this one!

cpu_fan_intel_intel_i3_cpu_cooler_support_intel_amd.jpg

i honestly can't tell if the little white "pincher" bits are even penetrating the MB, but if i pull gently on the unit, the whole thing comes away from the MB.

That is the stock intel cooler. If its pulling off easily, its clearly not mounted properly. Get that thing mounted properly with TIM between it and the CPU and you should be good to go. :)

Also, there is an EDIT button in each of your posts you can(should) use to prevent quadruple posting. :)

Back