• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOW TO USE MORE THAN 3GB+ RAM IN XP PRO 32bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2) My preferred 'ideology' ? xD
Your preferred ideology is "Vista sucks." It is quite obvious.

3) I don't spread BS. Hell there's a whole piece of software to disable the Spyware MS built into XP.
Your statements were disgustingly exaggerated. For many, that is equivalent to BS.

petteyg359 wrote: "...just the old, standard, boring Vista-bashing."
4) Old? Standard? I guess you've said it all right there. My experiences seem to be 'standard' ..
Here, you may find that what petteyg359 actually wrote was this:
Talk about advertisement ? Most of the posts I've seen seem like an advertisement for Vista. I can only pity the average user, but word spreads, already nearly half of all new computer users are requesting XP from the shop, and if they don't give it, they go somewhere else. Actions speak louder than words.
I don't see that happening. You provide no documentation of your points, just the old, standard, boring Vista-bashing.

petteyg359 wrote: "...rather rudely insulted pretty much every person on this forum who answers questions about 32-bit vs 64-bit, 4GB limit, PAE, etc."
Rude? Insulted? Did I said BS? Interesting how some guys mistake their OS for the GF.

Again, what I actually wrote:
OP was very close to just being an ad, and also rather rudely insulted pretty much every person on this forum who answers questions about 32-bit vs 64-bit, 4GB limit, PAE, etc.
What you wrote, and why I wrote the above:
The answer to this question is so simple, it begs the question how so many intelligent people who all spout technical jargon like a second language, haven't figured it out yet.

petteyg359 wrote: "Unless you're spending the wait time for FO3 to re-install every time you reboot, then you're having to wait for the multi-GB disk image to be saved on shutdown and loaded on startup."
I don't know what kind of pot you're smoking lol, I never said anything about Installing FO3 to a ramdisk, nor that it had to backup anything to any hard drive.

Let's not forget why I'm doing this — speed. It is fast.

It loads the Fallout 3 world in less than 2 seconds, and moves between doors near instant. High gfx setting and all. I've nearly forgotten what it's like to have to 'wait' for an application to load anymore, lol.

Now I'm gonna go play F3 besides wasting my time ...

There's no way Fallout 3 is loading the environment in 2 seconds unless you're running from an SSD, have a SCSI, SAS, or similar drive with insane RPM, or were running it from the RAM disk.

petteyg359 wrote: "The interface for adding a new disk is pretty lame. It does not tell you how much RAM is available, whether OS or "unmanaged". You have to go to another dialog for that."
LOL I thought it was quite easy to use, and that's saying something. Yes you have to click twice to open another dialogue box to say how much of your 'Unmanaged' +4GB RAM is available. Which is pretty cool on a 32bit system :) You remind me of that guy on the Fightclub movie, when he was looking at the commercial for the thing that blows air up your a**. You remind me of the guy in the commercial, no pun intended. ;) Click twice? jeez. Have to open another dialogue box, my god man.
A crappy interface decision. One line of text, stating the current amount of available RAM in the "create disk" dialog would suffice, but it isn't there. Two clicks, you say? There should be zero. That's like adding a button to the drive properties dialog in Windows, and not showing you the actual size of the drive you're looking at until you click the button. Sheer stupidity on the part of the interface designer(s).

petteyg359 wrote: "As you stated above, using it for a swap file can easily cause crashes. Unless you have 16GB+ memory,.."
WTF 16GB I have half that? NO. I said it was rock stable. did you learn english in a foreign country? Don't put any more words in my mouth because its starting to get insulting. The Swapfile is fine, as long as you tick the clearpagefile@shutdown option in XP, and clearing a ramdisk takes how long did I hear you say? No, no long waiting time. milliseconds.
If it is so rock stable, then why put the big WARNING!!! suggesting frequent ghost backups?

petteyg359 wrote: "A potentially crashy swap file is quite useless, especially if your system rarely makes use of the swap space anyway. "
IF that were true, I'd tend to agree with you. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though, and wouldn't have wasted my time posting this unless the performance increase was spectacular. Which it is, which means the system utilizes the Swapfile for a lot more junk than we think, which it does. Which is why my computer runs like a super-computer now :)
No it doesn't. A modern supercomputer is designed for massive amounts of parallel processing. A modern supercomputer with thousands of cores and terabytes of RAM isn't going to perform any better than your current system for applications that use one or two threads.

You claiming that I'm putting words in your mouth when you've clipped bits and pieces of quotes that you don't seem to like is funny, but also sad. I pity hypocrites.

If every person here with a techie question gets the answer "buy Vista buy Vista buy Vista" a poor baby-boomer may just buy it and find all his software not being able to run, and he won't be able to hear any answer to his problems over all the sheeple baying "vista" "vista" "VISTA" You should consider the name "Ideologically driven Vista sheeple"
Wrong again.
1. That "poor baby boomer" isn't going out and buying a machine with 8GB memory.
2. That "poor baby boomer" isn't going to have problems running "all his software" with Vista because 99% of the [old, standard, boring] problems don't exist.
3. We don't tell everyone to buy Vista. Many of us, however, tell people to quit throwing FUD.

PS: Oh, right I forgot. You're all using Vista. You can't even envisage an OS running without crashing at some point.
I use Vista Ultimate 64-bit, XP Home, and Gentoo Linux. In the past, I've used Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, and 2000. I've also used SuSE, Debian, Storm, and Mandriva Linux. You might find a small bit of enlightenment by reading signatures... many of us include our OS usage there.

Learn to use the quote tag. Don't double post. You still have not provided evidence to support 50% of people refusing to buy a computer with Vista. I and others are well aware that Vista did not and is not selling as well as Microsoft would like it to. I and others are also well aware that people are, in fact, buying computers with Vista, despite the numbers being less than wished for. Where did we all claim it was perfect? For one complaining of others putting words in your mouth, you sure seem to repeat a lot of things that were never said in the first place.

Last edited:
I think the op was premature in his posting.I think people expecting validation of such claims as 2 second load times is warranted,especially mentioning warnings of ghosting and a bsod and cost of a program needed.

I am all for an xp tweak,just provide more facts and a cheaper way to do it, vs. buying vista:p.

petteyg359 wrote: "A crappy interface decision. One line of text, stating the current amount of available RAM in the "create disk" dialog would suffice, but it isn't there. Two clicks, you say? There should be zero. That's like adding a button to the drive properties dialog in Windows, and not showing you the actual size of the drive you're looking at until you click the button. Sheer stupidity on the part of the interface designer(s)."

woe, woe, woe. You want to argue the finer points of the User interface on some software you only need to set-up ONCE, over the monstrosity that is Vista? haha

petteyg359 wrote: "If it is so rock stable, then why put the big WARNING!!! suggesting frequent ghost backups?"

I'd do that regardless.

petteyg359 wrote: "No it doesn't. A modern supercomputer is designed for massive amounts of parallel processing. A modern supercomputer with thousands of cores and terabytes of RAM isn't going to perform any better than your current system for applications that use one or two threads."

Thanks I didn't know that. xD 'nuf said'

Bandit1 wrote: "I am all for an xp tweak,just provide more facts and a cheaper way to do it"
thideras wrote: "This thread is getting out of hand guys, can we drop it?"

Very well, since it is Christmas this fine day, I suggest an armistice between myself and the End-users out there and you Microsoft employees.

Have a Happy Holiday and a Merry Xmas to ALL of you, including petteyg359 :D

there are no microsoft employees that have posted in here yet, just computer tech,s, code writers and general hardware and software enthusiast.

I♥GFX;5917696 said:
God why do you need 8GB of RAM? Do you ever pass 4?
Yes, I do quite often. When rendering movies or zipping files (or said movies), I will exceed 6-7gb of RAM. I've even got well over 8 by accident, the word size was set WAY too large when I started zipping a file and it...well, overloaded :D

I also use most of it with everything running (browser, World of Warcraft, Photoshop, Foobar2000, etc)...I multitask a lot :-/

Yes, I do quite often. When rendering movies or zipping files (or said movies), I will exceed 6-7gb of RAM. I've even got well over 8 by accident, the word size was set WAY too large when I started zipping a file and it...well, overloaded :D

I also use most of it with everything running (browser, World of Warcraft, Photoshop, Foobar2000, etc)...I multitask a lot :-/

DUDE!!!, you pass 4GB, wow

I have 4GB cuz i use games, im a GAMER:beer:. And im pretty sure that games dont use more than 4GB (if you dont multitask LOL)

DUDE!!!, you pass 4GB, wow

I have 4GB cuz i use games, im a GAMER:beer:. And im pretty sure that games dont use more than 4GB (if you dont multitask LOL)
You think that is a lot? My father works in a government facility which processes and archives images of earth from satellites. The servers for this place are INSANE, I know there are some that have in excess of 128 GiB of RAM (no, not a typo). I want to bench THAT.

I dual boot Vista64 and XP32 with pagefile on u.m. RamdiskPlus...
and i am satisfied with both of them. XP stopped trashing the disk

This thread has been reported a couple of times.

As it's Christmas and I've had a five course dinner and half a bottle of wine I'm really in no fit state to moderate.

Locked until boxing day when I shall hopefully be in a better mood to sort this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back