• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Would you Do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f012t12

How would you OC a 2.8E beyond 3.2GHz w/out making your memory (DDR400) run beyond timings of 2-2-2-5?

In my Gigabyte BIOS, I have to downgrade the initial memory clock from 2.0 (200Mhz) to 1.66(166) and then go upwards with the FSB (14x249 from 14x200) so that it's a [email protected] with memory at 199.X at 2-2-2-5.

Unfortunately, my [email protected] isn't stable and my memory's clock isn't maxed out.

Is there any way to have my memory running with a 200Mhz Clock (no less or more) while having an overal FSB OC above 3.2Ghz?

Well with your ram set at 166 and overclocking your cpu what voltage have you treid to get it stable?

To answer your question... no. The memory is tied to the FSB as a ratio. With your mobo, the BIOS memory setting of 2.0 is the 1:1 ratio. The 1.66 setting is the 5:4 ratio. So, if you want DDR400 (RAM frequency of 200 MHz) and be overclocked, you'll need to hit 250 FSB.

Ok, you are very close, so maybe with a few tweaks you'll make it. First, what vdimm are you using? Tight timings generally need higher vdimm. Fortunately, Mushkin likes high vdimm. Try increasing vdimm to 2.7v or even 2.8v.

If you are running the 5:4 ratio, I doubt the RAM is holding you back. Like Jenko asked... what is your temps and vcore? Please check to see what they are exactly. My old 2.8E would not go higher than about 3.3 to 3.4 gig on default vcore, so you might need to bump up the vcore one notch (don't go above 1.5v though).

Back