• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's this look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monotone

Something like..1011 dollars total. I got moniter, mouse, software, keyboard, perhiperals, etc covered. What do you think of that? First comp im gunna be putting together. Correct things you see wrong as fit.

Case/Power –
Foxconn CasEdge Case with 400W Power Supply (Blue&Black), Model "TH202" -RETAIL
Model# Diabolic TH202 BLUE
Item # N82E16811153007
Specifications:
Case Type: Mid-Tower
Color: Blue& Black
Material: Steel & Plastic
Drive Bays: 4x5.25", 2x3.5", 4x3.5"(Internal)
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: 4x USB2.0, 1x1394, Audio Ports
Power Supply: 400w
Cooling System: 1x120mm Fan
Motherboard Compatibility: MicroATX/ATX
Dimensions: 19"x18"x17" (DxWxH)
Special Features: Tooless removable/installation of M/B tray; Side Panel Window
$69Dollars

Motherboard –
EPoX "EP-4PDA3I" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Model# EP-4PDA3I
Item # N82E16813123217
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors(Prescott Ready)
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X (1.5V), 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2, 2xCOM, 1xLPT, 1xLAN, 8xUSB2.0 (Rear 4), SPDIF Out, Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel Codec
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8100B 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA
Form Factor: ATX
$79 Dollars

Processor –
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology
Model# BX80546PG3000E
Item # N82E16819116171
Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 3.0GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 3.0GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.25V - 1.525V
Process: 0.09Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Warranty: 3-year MFG
$199 Dollars

Hard drive - SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model SP1604N, OEM Drive Only
$89 Dollars

Video Card -
ASUS nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card, 256MB DDR3, 256-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, 8X AGP, Model"V9999 Gamer Edition/TD/256M" -RETAIL
Model# V9999 GE/TD/256M
Item # N82E16814121172
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6800/350MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR3/1000MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA out (15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video/Composite) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 1.5
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536
Cable/Accessories: S-Video Cable, DVI to VGA adaptor, Manual, Driver CD, Games, Free Web cam
$412 Dollars

CD Drives –

SONY Beige 52x32x52 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive, Model CRX230ED, OEM
Model# CRX230ED
Item # N82E16827106822
Specifications:
Write Speed: 52X CD-R, 32X CD-RW
Read Speed: 52X CD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/ 2000/ Me/ 98SE
Features: PowerBurn Conformed, VAS Vibration Reduction
Packaging: OEM (W/ CD Maker software)
$28 Dollars (Bottom – WRITE DRIVE)

Samsung Black 52X32X52X16 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, Model TS-H492A/WBGH, OEM
Model# TS-H492A/WBGH
Item # N82E16827151051
Specifications:
Write Speed: 52X CD-R, 32X CD-RW
Read Speed: 52X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
Features: Not specified
Packaging: OEM
$37 Dollars (Top – READ DRIVE)

Memory
OCZ Performance Series 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 Rev 3
Model# OCZ400512R3
Item # N82E16820146898
Specifications:
Manufacturer: OCZ
Speed: DDR400 (PC3200)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5-3-3-6 on AMD systems and 2-3-3-6 on the Intel systems
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64-Bit
Warranty: Lifetime
$98 Dollars

SO what do you guys think?

Yeah, you don't want a generic PSU powering a system like that. Have you considered going A64 instead? There's a little more upgrade potential if you head down that road.

What do you plan to use this system for?

johan851 said:
Have you considered going A64 instead? There's a little more upgrade potential if you head down that road.

????

this is spam to me, not helping with his question at all.

he is asking for advice on a INTEL setup in the INTEL forums. i don't go into the amd section and tell ppl to get a p4. also, there is no more upgrade potential in a s754 setup then there in in a s478 setup. both are at the end of their lives. s939 and lga775 would be good comparisons, but there intel wins, as you can currently buy a ddr2 and pci-e motherboard, which you CANNOT with amd. plus you can put 64bit chips into intel setups with a simple bios update, once intel starts shipping pressies and cellies with x86-64 enabled.

MONOTONE, as for the setup you've got laid out, i'd say go with a 3.0c, or northwood cpu. they run pretty much the same speed as prescotts, but run much cooler. a 3.0e could yield very good OC results, but you will have to be VERY good with your cooling strategies.

3.0c's should hit 3.6-3.8 on good air cooling.

for your motherboard, i would go with a abit AI7. probably the best 865 board there is, comes with many great overcocking features, the most important i'd say is the 3.2vdimm. it should be comparable in price, if not slightly more.

with the ram, you will want 2 sticks, to take advantage of dual channel. whether its 2x256, or 2x512, you need 2 sticks. i'd say go with 2x512, games are really starting to take advantage of more ram.

I dont plan on overclocking, just because...im looking for a comp that runs better than a dimenson 8200, and this will.

i'd say go with a 3.0c, or northwood cpu. they run pretty much the same speed as prescotts, but run much cooler. a 3.0e could yield very good OC results, but you will have to be VERY good with your cooling strategies.

explain what 3.0c, etc is? sorry, im generally new at hardware

and its going to be for downloading, gaming, but nothing heavy when it comes to gaming.
doom 3 would be the most demanding game i would play...which is kinda hard to measure cuz doom 3 IS one of the most demanding games. i'll go ahead and add another ocz 512 stick to that. might as well make my comp very good for atleast 5 years, and by that time 1 gigabite video cards will be out....and 64 megabyte cards are going to be firewood. i just want something powerful, and hassle free.

if you aren't OC'ing, then you could get the 3.0e.

sorry, to clarify, p4 "E" cpu's are prescotts, they have 1mb cache, and are 90nm. they are the new thing.

p4 "C" chips are northwoods. they are tried and true chips, have been around for a while now, and perform great, despite having only 512kb cache.

i said go for the C because prescotts generally run much hotter. if you aren't overclocking, then this should not be a problem, but i would suggest a 875 motherboard, like a abit IC7, or asus p4c800 if you go with the E. these 875 boards generally have beefier traces and mosfets that handle the added heat and power draw of pressies better. this isn't to say a 865 board like the AI7 or that Epox can't run a pressie, just maybe not as well long term.

for your budget, i'd say stick with a 3.0C, and get a AI7 and 2x512 ram. the added ram will help a TON with d3, and pretty much any game on the horizon. if you should ever decide to go about overclocking it once it starts to feel a bit sluggish, you can probably count on hitting 3.6-3.8 with air cooling. the stock cooler should be good up to 3.4 even if you don't want to spend the $$ on a new heatsink.

Power Supply: 400w
I'd like to put another vote for a better PSU

OCZ Performance Series 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 Rev 3
There is some good mem on the market that will let you do 2,2,2,5 timings at 3200. Depending on your budget, you might want to look into them. I noticed that you are not planning on OCing. But you never know what the future will bring. And some of those 2,2,2,5 mem match up to the 3.0E proc real well.

Everything else looks great!. Nice Rig!

Last edited:
the ram he listed says 2-3-3-6 on intel setups at 2.6v.

i'm sure if he bumped the voltage to 2.8-2.9 on the ai7, he'd have no probs at all doing 200mhz 2-2-2-5, but it is a gamble i guess. he COULD try and track down some ram like mine, bh-5, but the cost and time involved i don't think would be worth it.

the power supply he listed comes with the case, and i think he's trying to keep costs low. he won't NEED a new one, as he's not planning on overclocking anytime soon. if he should decide to later on, yes, for sure new PSU, but for now it should be more than adequate at stock speeds.

the reason i dont plan on overclocking is becuase of pure ignorance. after a few weeks on here i'll do it. i got a 3.0e prescott becuase i saw that my motherboard was prescott ready, so i thought it was a thing of compatability. i'll go to 3.0c, and get the ai7. 2x512 also. thanks guys, updates coming.
and can i buy the case even with the preinstalled psu, and get a better one and put that one in? that seems to be the best idea presented so far.

the ram he listed says 2-3-3-6 on intel setups at 2.6v.

i'm sure if he bumped the voltage to 2.8-2.9 on the ai7, he'd have no probs at all doing 200mhz 2-2-2-5, but it is a gamble i guess. he COULD try and track down some ram like mine, bh-5, but the cost and time involved i don't think would be worth it.
The OCZ Performance Series is fine memory. But the TCCD mem and Crucible Ballistix match up to an OCd 3.0 a lot better. But it all depends on his budget. Some of those mem tend to be on the high $$$ side.

my budget is 5 grand, my preffered budget is 1.5 grand TOPS. switches to ai7 with a p43.0c 800mhz, power supply is the issue. 520watts looks like a good amount, so im going with an Aspire 520W 12V Black - Triple Fan.

Im going to look into water cooling or something of the sort, does anyone want to put me in the right direction for cooling?

so were looking at:
faxconn case, atx form
aspire 520 watt replacement psu
p4 3.0c
abit ai7 motherboard
samsung 160gb7200 HD
asus geforcefx6800 256mb
2 cd drives, both write:
SONY Beige 52x32x52 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive
Samsung Black 52X32X52X16 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
2x512ocz performance series, im going to look into a new one for 2x512, so someone give me some good companies for ram.

how am i doin for this being my first built comp, and me being a complete nooblet? :)

changed ram to 1GB (2x512) corsair xms. thanks for that ram advice stan. the comp should have it's feet in the ground now. i'm looking into a perhiperals, such as a powered USB hub just becuase i got so many perhiperals on usb clogging up my space, and i wanna keep it clean. i spose thats just opinion.

this is spam to me, not helping with his question at all.

he is asking for advice on a INTEL setup in the INTEL forums. i don't go into the amd section and tell ppl to get a p4. also, there is no more upgrade potential in a s754 setup then there in in a s478 setup. both are at the end of their lives. s939 and lga775 would be good comparisons, but there intel wins, as you can currently buy a ddr2 and pci-e motherboard, which you CANNOT with amd. plus you can put 64bit chips into intel setups with a simple bios update, once intel starts shipping pressies and cellies with x86-64 enabled.
Did I hit a nerve? :p

Sorry about posting something about AMD in an Intel forum. From now on I'll make sure to keep heatsink comparisons out of the watercooling section, motherboard comments out of the memory section, and I'll probably just remove my AMD sig while I'm at it.

In other news...I made a comment about A64's because they're a viable alternative to Pentium 4's depending on which applications he'll be using his system for. He asked for advice on his whole system (I see people commenting on his PSU and memory - maybe you should scold them for spamming too?) and I gave some. Just introducing a new thought, that's all.

*EDIT* This is not about comebacks. I don't want to derail the thread. :)

Last edited:
Monotone said:
my budget is 5 grand, my preffered budget is 1.5 grand TOPS. switches to ai7 with a p43.0c 800mhz, power supply is the issue. 520watts looks like a good amount, so im going with an Aspire 520W 12V Black - Triple Fan.

Im going to look into water cooling or something of the sort, does anyone want to put me in the right direction for cooling?
If you're looking into water cooling there's a lot of good information in the cooling section of this forum. Take a look through the stickies in there and you'll find some good info. But I'm curious...if you don't plan to OC, why do you want to watercool? It's a pretty high maintainance project if you're just going to be running stock.

Back