• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydor L35 v2 DD 12v Water Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
greenman100 said:
did the guy that said it requires 12 to "get going" have a D4?
I have no idea. All I'm saying is that my D4 will start running with 7v even though someone remarked that the D4 needs 12v to start running. Whether his issue was real or imagined is beyond me…but it was said, and I felt it needed to be addressed.

so 2 of the best testers on the forums have a new d4, could someone test or verify that the new d4 has the same specs and is quieter than the old d4?

also, with all this talk of 3/8 v 1/2, im thinking of completely revamping with a d4 and 3/8" ... more money :(

hydraulic specs on the MCP650

MCP650%20PQ%20curve.gif

I'll run at the noise this Sunday

If one compares the graph from BillA with the graph on the DD website, It shows (as far as I can tell with the naked eye) that the Muffling was achieved at no expense of pumping power.
-This is my own interpretation of the graphs, correct me if I am wrong please-

This is great news !

SenC.

Senater_Cache said:
If one compares the graph from BillA with the graph on the DD website, It shows (as far as I can tell with the naked eye) that the Muffling was achieved at no expense of pumping power.
-This is my own interpretation of the graphs, correct me if I am wrong please-

This is great news !

SenC.
No. Let's do the math... DD's site (original Laing D4) claims 11.5 feet max head (roughly). Bill's chart above says 3.05M max head. Since there are roughly 39.37 inches per meter, we can figure:

3.05 x 39.37 = 120.0785 inches / 12 = 10 feet of max head, or a difference of 1.5 feet, which IMO is quite substantial, but then again, I'm just nuts.

I read the following from the two graphs (but I tend to suck at graph reading)
I am choosing to read @ 1m head because I feel like it :bang head
Bill's graph -> @1m = ~13,5 l/m
DD's graph -> @1m (3.9') = ~950 l/hr
-
Thus: 950 l-hr / 60 min-hr = 15,8 l/m

:cool: Nikshub you are right. The MCP650 does have less power than the standard (noisy) D4.
2.3 l/m @ 4' head ... If I am still wrong about this please let me know.

the Muffling was achieved at no expense of pumping power.

Everyone, I apologize for my POS-graph reading back there. It is hasty and uneducated guesses like my previous one that spread misinformation. Sorry (shall refrain from posting until more sleep administered :) )

SenC.

Senater_Cache said:
impressive, any one with the older version D4 chart on hand please post for comparison.

This was my take on the D4's performance. Note that my pump has 3/4" fittings so it is more free flowing than the 1/2" models towards the right end of the graph. The peak pressure will not change because of this. The larger fittings have the most effect when the pump is working against no pumping resistance.

laingd4-3.png

My curve was not obtained using proper equipment so it'll be out to some extent. It's an extrapolation of about 5 data points, being peak pumping head (for which I am 100% confident that is accurate to +/- 0.02m), peak flow rate, which I am confident to within +/- 1LPM, and the intermediate data points which I am confident to within +/- 1LPM and +/- 0.3mH2O.

I contacted the lead Laing engineer at the time and forwarded my graph and confirmed with him at the time over the phone that my graph was indeed accurate to within about 5%, in his opinion, to the results that they were seeing with the unmuffled pumps, so this gives me greater confidence in my results.

I have two pumps here, the second pump did push less pressure, being around 3.7mH2O, and this value matched more closely with what the Laing engineer observed himself in their testing, with him remarking that there will always be some variance between pumps.

to those with Laing pumps that will not start below 10VDC:
on the backside there are 2 rectangular openings, one of which may have 2 pins with a jumper on them

the jumper prevents the pump from starting below 10VDC, remove it and the pump will start at 6VDC (or so)

if no jumper or pins are apparent, pump should start fine at low voltage

the MCP650 from Swiftech will ship without the jumper

excuse a noob question. If I want to order the DD D4 and I have a 1/2" ID system, do I want a 1/2" OD fitting or 3/4"?

just ordered one from Voyeurmods.com for $68.95. Was $74.95 yesterday. I'm glad I waited :) I cancelled my order for the Dtek CSP X2 since I waited close to 2 weeks and order hasn't shipped yet (they were waiting for the bracket)

seems like the D4 and swiffy mcp650 are pretty much the same thing.... their head vs flowrate graph is nearly identical. Am I right in assuming this. Is one a better pump than the other, or no...

I have been out of the loop BUT I remember the DD being able to run on a pretty high voltage like 24v..And I think any one who reviewed them at that voltage mentioned that the pump was noisy.At 12v it would seam that the pumps should be quiet.

wfarid said:
seems like the D4 and swiffy mcp650 are pretty much the same thing.... their head vs flowrate graph is nearly identical. Am I right in assuming this. Is one a better pump than the other, or no...
They are both Laing D4's and thus the same exact pump.

What kind of rheostat do I need to control the D4 pump? Can I use the zalman fanmate rheostat to do it?

Thanks in advance

Conan7

Back