• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I cant belive my Venice 3000+ is already obsolete!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ur all crazy, wait for conroe to come out+reviews and tests. Don't fall for Intel provided benches...

plus @ Overcleker550

if u look clearly at the picture u can notice that they are using same generation I would say very very similar cards so 15% increase? what the hell did u expected now try comparing that 9700 that u have with a X1800XT...and u will see the real deal...

let me check if I can find a bench comparison...brb

Douken said:
ur all crazy, wait for conroe to come out+reviews and tests. Don't fall for Intel provided benches...

We have long trusted members to provide the benches :beer: and they rock!! :drool:

but if you read what Ive posted in this thread, you can see that Im a little more level headed then that ;)

OC550, GPU is still far more important that CPU. I upgraded from my X850xt because it just wasn't cutting it for some games. With the same CPU, I saw a rather large increase in moving to an X1800. I found that at the resolutions I like to run (1600x1200, or 2048x1536), FPS increases almost linearly with video card speed.

Also, in games, your CPU should perform about the same as a stock X2 4400+.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I ERASED THE CACHE AND LOST MY POST WHEN I WANTED TO POST:temper::mad:

[EDIT]

ARGHHHHHHH:cry::cry::cry::cry: it happened again!!! aahhh screw it dude, Ill resume it to this and then u check it here.

In F.E.A.R. max detail 1600x1200 AA4x AF8x
u get about 2FPS with a X600 PRO 400/500 card. In the same settings we get 40FPS with a X1800XT OC to 695/1584, 625/1500 stock that translates to the following:

Relative difference between X600 Pro and X1800 XT OC: 1900.00 %
Absolute difference between X600 Pro and X1800 XT OC: 38 fps

notice that your card is a 9700 PRO wich is clocked at 325/600

so ur 17% difference is not valid since u are comparing similar cards anyways

Last edited:
ya, i would really reccomend looking at nicer graphics cards before blaming the cpu. A 3000+ oc'd to 2.4 will still hold it's own in gaming, at least with a decent GPU.
the benches i've seen of conroe DO suggest that it will dominate the market, but to heck with it. I see no driving reason to sink all that money down right now, my current setup isn't exactly shiny new, but it does what i need it to. Doom 3 certainly doesn't complain. and that's on an old 3.0E stepping.

Conroe or not, even with an x850xt, it won't cut it @ 2048x1636... just logical thinking. The CPU can't do the graphic rendering!

If you get an x1900xt, and pair it with a Venice @ 2.6, I can predict you will get better FPS than with a Conroe and an x850xt.... Sure, maybe with the Conroe you get 150 fps @ 1024x768, and with the Venice 100, but it's the high res. you are shooting for....

BTW, like it was mentioned before.. there is no thing as runnning ¨1/1¨on A64... even if the RAM runs @ the same speed of the HTT link, it will still be running off a divider, because the dividers are not HTT/x, they are CPU speed/x...

dan

Last edited:
I would say it's not a BAD idea to buy a Conroe if you want it....but if you can only afford either an x850xt OR a Conroe...then get the x850xt

You WILL be unhappy when you get an awesome CPU and still have a less than awesome (nice way of saying old and slow) vid card.

I went from a 9600XT (which is pretty well the same as 9700PRO, if not better in some cases) to a 6600GT AGP and there was a MAJOR improvement in my gamability.

Your CPU is getting a little aged...but if you can only afford to upgrade one of them, up the Vid card first. And now that I think of it....if you are upgrading to Conroe....you are spending WAY more money that way....you've gotta buy a new MB and new RAM in addition to the CPU.

jivetrky said:
And now that I think of it....if you are upgrading to Conroe....you are spending WAY more money that way....you've gotta buy a new MB and new RAM in addition to the CPU.

That was my point..
Take the new build budget and plunk it into a nice video card :D

Has anything really changed from since the thunderbird core or the AXP days, take a Athalon xp with a gig or two of memory and a decent video card and it will hold it's own against whats the latest and greatest now in all things but high end gaming.

You might find this kinda interesting...

I have a Pentium-M lappy, 1.73GHz, and it generally throttles itself down to 700mhz-ish when idle. Sometimes though, I set a power profile to keep it there, when I want to conserve battery life. Anywho I was actually playing AOE3 and FEAR on it, and I noticed it was a tad slow (sub-30 somtimes), but they were running just fine at 700MHZ! Lappy has an X700 256mb.

Having a fast CPU will get your maximum FPS up, and bring up the average, but it won't help you when you need it the most.

I'm sticking to AMD period. I'm very happy with my X2 4400 (939 socket ADV core) processor, Man it rocks in my newly rebuilt system (spec's in sign).

Back