• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I forked out my $

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gizmo3472

Registered
Well i found out my old mobo+CPU was not O/C able even if i added 24 tractor batteries to it so!I bought a Mobo and a CPU :) The mobo is Chaintech K7 Slot A (Far as i know that's all i can find out about it) And the CPU is a AMD Tbird 750 Mhz,Just neeed to know one thing,Would i be able to overclock it?It's got Jumpers+DIP switches,It can support 2 BIOS's (It comes with Award) And it's pretty sweet from it's looks,Waiting for the CPU to come in so i can hook it up :) Well thanks all for all the fuss n help,I appreciate it,I just hope i made the right decision on my mobo hehe ;)

Thumbs up, how to OC

gizmo3472 (Feb 18, 2001 06:28 a.m.):
Well i found out my old mobo+CPU was not O/C able even if i added 24 tractor batteries to it so!I bought a Mobo and a CPU :) The mobo is Chaintech K7 Slot A (Far as i know that's all i can find out about it) And the CPU is a AMD Tbird 750 Mhz,Just neeed to know one thing,Would i be able to overclock it?It's got Jumpers+DIP switches,It can support 2 BIOS's (It comes with Award) And it's pretty sweet from it's looks,Waiting for the CPU to come in so i can hook it up :) Well thanks all for all the fuss n help,I appreciate it,I just hope i made the right decision on my mobo hehe ;)

Yo mobo is OK, so is your CPU. Slot-A thunderbirds are VERY rare, are you absolutely positive you have one? If not, big chance you've just got the orinary Athlon K7 classic. Would be a AMD K7 750MHz. Overclocking: You can do two things:

1.Increase your FSB, standard is 100MHz (200DDR, though), to about 110 with some luck (this is done with the DIP switches on your mobo, see your manual about how to use them).

2.Remove you CPU cover (CAREFULL, be sure to read MUCH about how to do this on internet before you even bother!!! You could destroy your CPU if done wrong) and add a goldfinger device. This is a device to set your CPU multiplyer, the factor by which your FrontSideBus speed is multiplied to get CPU speed, in your case 7.5x You can put this little card on the connector on top of your CPU, intended as a debug port for the manufacturer. These toys are sold on internet, and I advice you to do some research about it before you get into this adventure.

Some last advice on oc'ing your athlon. Be carefull with voltage! Increasing it too much can BURN your CPU, so know what you are doing! Always mind the temperatures of your cpu, athlons produce MUCH heat, good cooling is mandatory. And always, ALWAYS use thermal paste (see the homepage overclockers.com why). Try not to go above 50°C.

If you have some more questions about how to OC this baby, just let me know! My athlon 500 made it all the way to 800 (increased multiplyer from 5 to 8), watercooled. With some good work 150MHz is possible for you!

Back