• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate Apple!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just source it direct from china. If you can build a brand new iphone walking down side streets and gathering the parts I'm sure a mac part can be had too. Amazing what a price jump it makes from pocket change to hundreds or thousands. Anybody who tries to sell an easily upgraded or fixed device here in the US goes against the greed flow.

Apple pays off the government to intercept any of their parts that are imported from Asia by a third party.

But wait, theres a dongle for that.. and if you need to charge at the same time, you can spend $50 CND on a double dongle :rolleyes:

That subwoofer.. Lol. There is someone at the top of the chain that can use that, or a bigger one :shock:

I never understood why so many people threw a fit over the lack of audio jack on the iPhone 7, i have never used headphones while charging the phone because usually doing something else like working or sleeping. I thought it was a very good trade for making the phone more water resistant...

I never understood why so many people threw a fit over the lack of audio jack on the iPhone 7, i have never used headphones while charging the phone because usually doing something else like working or sleeping. I thought it was a very good trade for making the phone more water resistant...

There's absolutely nothing about a 3.5mm jack that makes the phone any more susceptible to water damage than the USB/lighting/whatever charging port does. Water-proofing is not a valid reason for removal. Moto x4 has a headphone jack yet has no problems with submersion from multiple tests in various reviews, and it's not the only waterproof phone with a headphone jack.

Last edited:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...hy-apple-killed-the-headphone-jack#.ak22qxVQA

"Even better, removing the audio jack also eliminated a key point of ingress that Riccio says helped the new iPhone finally meet the IP67 water resistance spec Apple has been after for years (resistant when immersed under 1 meter of water for 30 minutes)."

"When the headphone jack was removed, Apple realised it was easier to install the new Taptic Engine for the pressure-sensitive Home button, implement a bigger battery, and reach an IP67 water resistance rating, so the elimination of the headphone jack became essential for all of the other features in the iPhone 7." - they forgot to add that it also became cheaper to build.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...hy-apple-killed-the-headphone-jack#.ak22qxVQA

"Even better, removing the audio jack also eliminated a key point of ingress that Riccio says helped the new iPhone finally meet the IP67 water resistance spec Apple has been after for years (resistant when immersed under 1 meter of water for 30 minutes)."

"When the headphone jack was removed, Apple realised it was easier to install the new Taptic Engine for the pressure-sensitive Home button, implement a bigger battery, and reach an IP67 water resistance rating, so the elimination of the headphone jack became essential for all of the other features in the iPhone 7." - they forgot to add that it also became cheaper to build.

Repeating a debunked point does not "bunk" it. Waterproofing has nothing to do with it, unless you're claiming that Apple's design team is incompetent in comparison to all others who have IP68 ratings (better than Apple's IP67) on phones that do have headphone jacks.

Regarding cost, I as an individual can order 3.5mm jacks (stereo + mic) in 1000+ quantities from Mouser for less than $0.60 each. I suspect any phone manufacturer's bulk pricing would be significantly lower. Claiming that as a cost savings in comparison to the cost of other parts of a phone or the cost as a whole is rather ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sounds like some tangible improvements, never had an iPhone but am becoming less impressed with the Google/Android universe these days.

I just don't know if I'm ready to 'jump ship' just yet...

Repeating a debunked point does not "bunk" it. Waterproofing has nothing to do with it, unless you're claiming that Apple's design team is incompetent in comparison to all others who have IP68 ratings (better than Apple's IP67) on phones that do have headphone jacks.

Regarding cost, I as an individual can order 3.5mm jacks (stereo + mic) in 1000+ quantities from Mouser for less than $0.60 each. I suspect any phone manufacturer's bulk pricing would be significantly lower. Claiming that as a cost savings in comparison to the cost of other parts of a phone or the cost as a whole is rather ridiculous.
Just repeating what Apple wrote at the time, don't shoot the messenger [emoji13] the other points seem solid though, especially the bigger battery ?

Just repeating what Apple wrote at the time, don't shoot the messenger [emoji13] the other points seem solid though, especially the bigger battery ?

My phone with a headphone jack has a 3000mAh battery. iPhone 7, 7+, 8, 8+, and X are all less, and the 8+ at least is physically larger than mine to begin with. Again, it would be a valid reason, but clearly it isn't Apple's actual reason, unless they're just incompetent at hardware design.

Last edited:
Different battery design maybe? Bigger but flatter so you can fit more stuff internally? I don't pretend to know what they did or why but everything they say being an outright lie seems a bit of a stretch no?

EDIT: then again this is Apple, since SJ died it kinda went downhill...

I still like my iPhone, no plans to jump ship. I could have sworn there was an android phone with headphone jack and ip68? As for the real reason why apple removed them who knows. I heard they had to pay royalties on the jack itself, and to save money they just ditched it. Makes sense. Im sure corners had to be cut to make it to a trillion dollar value on the company

When Apple made the move to Air Pods, thw jack was still in the phone. They just changed the case and didn't put a hole through it

Is Samsung still plagued with branded bloatware and backdoor access?
They have the branded bloatware. It's for that reason I like my Google pixel XL. That said, it isn't ip68. And the pixel2 and on have no headphone jack (sadly).

Is Samsung still plagued with branded bloatware and backdoor access?

They have the branded bloatware. It's for that reason I like my Google pixel XL. That said, it isn't ip68.

Says IP68 in the specs - and yes bloatware is all there, although i have to mention that the Samsung browser is topnotch :thup:

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s8/performance/

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8+-8523.php

Manual :

20180806_182133.jpg

Last edited:
I had an argument over the same thing on another forum, hence the pic :p sorry if i sounded pedantic :rain:

Back