• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hurt my new Keyboard. Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Ok I got this set about 6 months ago. I love this keyboard and mouse, and well I have a sliding keyboard tray and I had a full can of coke. (can you see where this is going) I got up to step away from my desk and slid the keyboard tray in, while the can of coke was on it. It managed to spill onto the keyboard. Only about an ounce or less. I quickly grabbed the keyboard and flipped it over. I ran to the bathroom and held it over the sink upside down tapping on the back of the keyboard. I used a small towl to dab out where I could reach, then I brough the keyboard back to my desk flipped it over popped out the shift, control and windows key and dapped out any liquid that I could find. All seemed well, not even a sticky key. Until the battiries went dead, and then the new set went dead, and the 3rd set went dead. I am going through a set of battiries every week. They use to last like 2 months.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I took the keyboard apart and could not see any sticky or anything else for that matter that looked like it was messing up.

If anyone has any suggestion on what I should do please let me know.
I am at the point where I am about to just go and buy a new set. I hate the idea of doing that becuase I cant buy just the keyboard locally and I am going to get stuck with an extra mouse.

Here is what they look like

keyboard.jpg

mouse.jpg

I dont know if the link will work but I am giving it a shot.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Logitech..._Keyboard/linkin_id_~3035301/display_~reviews

I also have a logitech cordless keyboard and mouse. I stopped using the mouse though because it ate batteries too fast. So you are sure that the batteries are completely dead? Did you try to use them in something else and see if they still work? I know this may seem like a dumb question, but sometimes I think my batteries in my keyboard are dead but really the connection is just bad. When I press the connect button on the back of my keyboard and on that little receiver it starts working again. I'm sure you've tried that but I'm just making sure, don't want you to buy a new keyboard for nothing!

Yep they are pretty much dead, when put on a vold meter new they are 1.6 and after a week of use they are below 1v usually around .8 and .8 is not enough for it to keep a connection.

Okay I asked an electrical engineer about this problem and he said:

Coke is very conductive so what it's doing is shorting out and eating up the batteries and to fix the problem just take off all the keys and clean it out very thoroughly.

Maybe alcohol bathing would work? I know it won't damage anything, and lots of people use it for motherboards and video cards and it works. Just take the keyboard, and soak i t in at least 90% pure Isopropyl Alcohol. Let it sit for a while, and then dry it with a hair dryer and let is sit for at least a couple of days to make sure it's dry.

Back