• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED I lapped my goldengate to a mirror finish

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
E

el

started with 240 to get out the rough spots then 320,400,600c,1000c and finished with 1500c. now it is a mirror :) My question is the 600c seemed rougher than the 400? Does the c mean something. Also what should I use to polish the copper?

el (Aug 03, 2001 05:13 a.m.):
started with 240 to get out the rough spots then 320,400,600c,1000c and finished with 1500c. now it is a mirror :) My question is the 600c seemed rougher than the 400? Does the c mean something. Also what should I use to polish the copper?

I'm not sure why 600 seemed rougher it should have been noticably finer anyway I wish you would have taken temps measurements as you lapped your way up mainly from 600 to 1500 and then with a good polish as everyone gets different results when they do this, i would stay away from any polish with wax in it as a fingerprint on a lapped HS is known to throw temps down a little so i think wax my have advere affects, some say a mirror shine is not good because there is not enough thermal compound left because most of it gets squished out but one guy said he had better temps with just a polish and no lapping so your just going to have to try and see what kind of results you get because so many people get different results and they do vary from one to another.

Back