• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help with my computer crashing on me constantly.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dearbeloved

So im having a ****ty problem with my computer right now. I dont know whats going on and im at the point where im cleaning out my water cooling system and just about to fire it back up to see if it worked.

First off, when I boot up it starts to boot up but then it the screen shuts off as if its not recognizing the video card. the thing is that i can see it starting to boot up on the screen but then it shuts off when i get to the log in page for windows. It will some time go down before I even get there but mostly im able to get to that part.

another thing it does is that the video card fan will start spinning out of control and then thats when it goes down. after that ill turn it off and try to boot up and theres nothing on the screen. Ive removed the video card and reinserted it but the problem persists.

another thing is that my dram is only showing 8 gigs when it has 12 gigs in it. Ive tested each one in each slot in different configs and all sticks are working and all slots are working but Im still only getting 8 gigs in the bios and when i check windows under usable memory.

lastly, I have 3 120mm fans on my rad which are spinning slowly until i crank up the knobs on the fan controller. Ive checked each fan in all slots and it does the same problem persists on each fan. The top fan will spin slowly and i have to crank it almost to max for it to run fast enough to push air but it always pushes it way to fast and is super loud. its like theres no in between.

Im mentioning everything because im wondering if there is any correlation to these problems. Ill list what im using at the bottom so you can know my setup and if youre able to offer any insight, suggestions, advice, help, or ANYTHING then I would be forever grateful.

Asus sabertooth x58 mobo
I7 950 bloomfield
EVGA GTX 580
Gskill ripjaws 3x4gig sticks
corsair gs800 power supply
Sunbeam RHK-BA Rheobus fan controller
crucial m4 128 gig ssd (os)
WD cavier black 1tb hd

swiftech apogee XT water block
swiftech 3.120 rad
corsair d4 water pump

I think thats about it.

any help will be appreciated guy. Thanks

Well it seems to me you need to start testing individual components in another system known to be working or swap out the current parts from your system with what you know to be good parts from another computer. For example, try your PSU in another system or try another good PSU in your system. Same with memory, video card, Hard disk, etc. If I had to take a wild guess based upon your description of symptoms I would say it might be the PSU is bad. There's really no other way to run something like this down besides swapping out components. I don't know if you have spare parts laying around to do that or a second system perhaps. A lot of us regulars on the forum keep spare stuff around for this very reason.

unfortunately, i dont have any spare parts on hand. Ill talk to a friend and see if he can take out his and swap it out. thanks for you input though.

Would try the PSU 1st. For the video card, possible to test it in the other PCI-e slot?
Update BIOS to latest, clear CMOS, start over the settings from scratch.

sounds like either PSU going, Vid card is bad or even a PCI-e slot, that shares bandwith with a mem slot on the mobo..

Remove the CPU and check for any bent pins in the socket. And when remounting the block, make sure it's perfectly square w/ the socket, and the screws aren't over-tightened.

Back