• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 6900k - only one core has right clockspeed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iPeddA

Hey guys,

maybe you could help me out with an issue:
I overclocked my i7 6900k to 4 GhZ. Everything was pretty simple, and i followed along the youtuibe tuitorial of Roman 8Auer Hartung.
Everything is fine, except that my clockspeed on core 1-7 is 300mhz lower than my core #0, which is running at my desired clock spped of 4Ghz.
First i thought, i should just run an stress test, so the CPU runs the normal clockspeed on all cores, but it stayed on the 3700mhz on 7 cores.
I also downloaded an older version of Prime95, which has no AVX included. So i can eliminate that reason for being "down clocked".
Apart from that, i already tried to disable Turbo Mode via BIOS, and put the LLC to Auto.

My motherboard is the Asus X99 Strix.

Hopefully somebody knows this issue and help me out.

Thanks,
Peter

Here is an picture where you see my clock speeds on CPU-Z.
https://ibb.co/4S9tTLp

Yeah, i set it to sync all cores and to specific core, but nothing worked out.
I also looked at Hw Monitor, and it showed the exact same clock speeds. :/

Post pictures of your bios settings please as well as the monitor showing what you are saying. Attach through the forums.

Here are the pictures! I hope that the pictures are now IN the Forum. I've never done this before :D
Hopefully you have an answer for me.
Kind redgards,
Peter.
9swpLzm

L00Q7BV

cbTKJr5

YXLJY63

FJgnz59

3W2D5DN

So i just tried to disable SVID (CPU and DRAM) and also disabling Turbo Mode and Asus Multi core.
As soon as i disable Turbo Mode, i just get 3.2ghz on all cores. Is there nobody who can help me out? It is so frustrating. I just wanted to get my overclock work. Thanks!

You need turbo to OC...

Is the latest BIOS on the board?

Is that screenshot under load or idle? If the latter, what happens under load?

Did you try getting your multi up to your desired clock speed without using turbo? Turbo is usually a dynamic feature, which will change according to load and wattage. While in single thread tasks, you'll see certain cores and ultra turbo high multiplier, but if whole CPU is loaded up, turbo will down clock to stay in spec. That's what might be happening ? :shrug:

Mine is fairly old intel platform(lga1366), but does the same. I can do light loads with 24x, but as soon as I load it up hard, like stress testing, she will drop down to 22x. I can overcome that by increasing baseclock and using that low 22x multi to achieve same GHz. Yours is newer and you probably will have to disable turbo and up your multi to whatever you want your frequency to be.

So guys, after hours of googling, i have found the issue, but no solution so far.
It was the Windows update 1809 of windows in September 2017. I never checked my overclock since last year, but microsoft stopped the overclocking of broadwell e. With the release of the bios asus 1903 it should be fixed.
As soon as i get an answer of Asus, i will post it here!

Back