• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hardzip

Hi guys, after messing with this setup and reading up some on the forum for a few days this was the best i can do with an Asus P6X58D Premium, i7 930 and Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1866C9DF * PC3-15000 6GB Kit 9-9-9-24 1.65v. H50 corsair cooling and 850watt corsair PS. The system runs rock solid at these settings and passes all the test i throw at it.

Here are all my settings in the bios, I know i'm only at 19x multi but at 21x i could only get the mem to 1531 and i was trying to get as close as I could to the specs of it. But this was as close as I could get and still boot into windows. I have tried all kinds of settings and volts but still no luck.

Was wondering if anyone can leave me with some insite in maybe trying to get the ram higher or is this fine. O and i have lowered the timings on the mem since I couldn't get the 1866 at 9-9-9-24 so i figured i could run them tighter at 8-8-8-24 at 1691, and they run fine.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 19x
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: disabled
Intel (R) Extreme phase full power: enabled
BLCK Frequency: 210
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1691MHz
UCLK Frequency:3384MHz
QPI Link Data Rate:auto

DRAM Timing Control:

1st Information :

CAS# Latency: 8
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 8
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 8
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM REF Cycle Time: Auto
DRAM Write Recovery Time: Auto
DRAM Read to Precharge Time: Auto
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time: Auto
DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay: Auto

2nd Information :

DRAM Timing Mode: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHA: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHB: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHC: Auto

3rd Information :

DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.30000
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.3000
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: Auto

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew : Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 19x
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Intel (R) HT Techology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: Disabled

Looks good to me.

One thing you might consider unless your just trying to push your RAMs is to raise your Multi and lower your Bclk. So far my experience, it seems these i7s like to push alot of heat at higher Bclks and they also require more voltage. As far as the ram speed goes, it would be the last thing I try to optimize after I have reached a maximum overclock. Unless you are thermally limited 80+ degrees, you could raise your Vcore comfortably and still reach 4.2. On the downside though you would have to lower your ram speed. I don't notice a difference from 1580 to 1600 to 1650 MHz ram speed.

Just a thought.

I think the ram is fine.. you probably wont notice any changes between 1600 and 2000 tbh unless you are benching and looking for every last bit of power.. in everyday apps etc.. your settings are good to go.. good use of odd multiplier.. hopefully it holds out well under turbo as it will turbo into 20x which can be good or bad for these dang i7s!

I see he has C1E and C-states disabled. He won't get the Turbo Boost.

I would sacrifice ram speed for processor speed, but if and only if temperature is not an issue. You would benefit more from 4.2 (21X200) Overclock with ram speeds at 1600 then with 4.0 (19X210) with Ram speed at 1691. There comes a point when the difference in a few MHz of ram speed is just asking for stability problems. Your processor would be pushed hard at 4.4-4.6, whereas your Ram is pushing its max at 1680-1700.

My G.Skill Ripjaws DDR 1600, can reach 1720MHz, but that leads to instability, I can run them stable at 1680, but really don't see any difference between 1680 and 1560 on all benchmarks except a specific ram benchmark.

thankx so much for all the reply's guys.

I have one question regarding the mem though. Why is that
I can't boot into windows with the 1866 that the mem is rated for unless I have the cpu at stock with xmp enabled?

Thats a good question. If your ram is rated that high, then let me ask are you running Tripple Channel? that is each stick in one of each bank? Check your Motherboard Handbook and make sure your set in Tripple channel? I don't understand a lot about tripple channel because I use 1156 which has Dual channel, but it is my understanding the concept is the same.

I see you have your DRAM Voltages set to their max and your timings are set properly. Its my guess your having other issues that are not ram related.

Did you try turning down your overclock? That is set your Multi to X9. Then set your Bclk say 133, now put your Ram multiplier at its max but lower than 1600, boot. Now raise your Bclk 5 at a time and see if you can pass 1800. With a 2:10 DRAM Ratio, set your Bclk to 180 and your Multi to 9. Your Ram should be running at 1800. Run Prime and see if it holds.

If it holds, it is not your ram that is the problem. You should be able to get to about 186 Bclk = 1860 DRAM MHz. If not, then I would RMA.

Ok so i checked everything and I am in tripple channel mode.

The lowest multi on my board or 930 chip is 12 so I followed all your steps and I'm running prime right now at Bclk=150 mem is at 1800 2:12 and so far all is good.Prime has been running now for a few hrs.

How long should I let it go? Then if the mems good what what be the next step I should try to get OC back up plus the mem running at spec?

O and by the way thankx for helping me out here.

Thank You MIAHALLEN for the link I printed it out and did some reading, some very good stuff in there.
So after tinkering around with settings and reading this is what I came up with so far.

i7 930 @ 3.9
CPU Ratio Setting: 21x
BLCK Frequency: 186
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1864MHz
UCLK Frequency:3728MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.28125
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.45

ran Prime for 9 hrs with no errors.
Memtest for 6 hrs with no errors.

I settled for the 3.9 so I could end up with 1864 on the mem which is almost right on the specs of my mem @ 1866. Also I like my temps at full load around 70-72 max.

My only concern is the Qpi/Dramm voltage and that is 1.45 is what i had to bump up to to get the mem to run stable and boot into windows. Is that to high or what is the max I can run this at.
Also when we talk cpu voltage whats the more accurate reading, what it's set to in the bios or what cpu-z actually reads at because cpu-z is always alittle lower than what i set it to in the bios.

Your QPI setting should be ok. I like to think of it as the Northbridge with a different name. I think on all chips it has different max settings, so I will just say the higher you clock the more qpi you will need. I think in Miah's instructions he has you set it to 1.39 to start. You should be good though as long as you keep it within 0.50V of your DRAM Voltages (which isn't hard).

Your OC sounds nice and stable and although you could probably do more, this is the point where you sacrifice noise from the fans for a couple hundred MHz Clock speed.

YOU DID GOOD! YAY! Welcome to the club.

Just wanted to say thank you to Brutal-Force for his insight and help and also to MIAHALLEN for the great guide and his help.

I did one last tweak I raised Bclk to 191 and didn't need anymore vcore to get it stable and the mem went to 1914 stable with 1.55 Qpi/Dram.

These are the new settings running great, even took Mia's suggestion and ran Crysis while burning a movie :) Thankx again guys!

i7 930 @ 4.0
CPU Ratio Setting: 21x
BLCK Frequency: 191
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1914MHz
UCLK Frequency:3829MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.28125
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.55

Back