• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you have played FarCry...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is it the most fun you've ever had in a single player campaign game?

• Yes.

Votes: 95 39.7%
  • No.

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • I think theres a Trigen in my closet... And what's that grumbling under my bed?

Votes: 53 22.2%

• Total voters
germanjulian said:
acctually it is the best PC game I think after HL.

But MGS on PS1 or the MGS Twin Snakes on GameCube do it more for me. So intense and the storyline is amazing. just like watching a great movie... I do really like games with a great storyline which grips you.

Oh FarCry used 412MB or ram on my system.... I tried changing to lower resolutions and with medium and Extra High graphics settings but it stays at 412MB ram... so 512Mb or ram is minimum for this game

It was using a total of ~880mb of ram on mine -- remember that there is a virtual pool that it also allocates that is not displayed in Task Manager by default. With my gig of ram and a page file at 256mb, Windows was occasionally popping up the "Virtual memory size too small" error bubble from my system tray. Setting my page file to 512mb solved that issue... And that is without ANYTHING else running, I think a total of like fourteen processes were going (no Antivirus, no MBM, no software firewall, no other applets)

Good post Albuquerque, I was going to say basically the same thing.

Word to that OC Noob, I just got a Raptor about a month ago, and I was glad I had it when I saw how long the initial load took right after I installed... I actually immediately quit out of the game and defragged my HDD then restarted my comp. Load time was cut atleast in half when I ran it again. It was the most dramaticly clear difference I have ever seen from defragmentation.

I'm kind of assuming those who picked the third option would have answered yes... Seems like everyone likes the game atleast, with over half of which thiking it was the most fun. That's pretty damn impressive.

The game plays the best, and looks the best, with AA on high and details on low. With AA high and details low, about 20-30FPS, with AA off/low and details high, maybe 5-7FPS. With AA low and details low, about 15FPS.

Just loaded it last night and walked throught the training mission. So far I'm loving it, although I had to crank the vid settings down to medium. Haven't dome that since i got it. Now I it's the first game in a long time to make me want a new vid card. When the next gen cards coming out?

mrgreenjeans said:
Just loaded it last night and walked throught the training mission. So far I'm loving it, although I had to crank the vid settings down to medium. Haven't dome that since i got it. Now I it's the first game in a long time to make me want a new vid card. When the next gen cards coming out?

I am on the third 'level'... including the training as a level. The carrier top was a biatch, you really have to stop and think 'I need to prioritize in what order I need to kill what' hehe.

BTW, this is a DX9 game, I hope that my video card bogs down with it... can't wait for games and cards in 5 years to see how well they'll look. :) I love technology.

Thats too bad thats as high as you can go, things can sometimes get pretty choppy with 20-30fps... when I am outside in the jungle on the first mission I've found that my frame rates fluctuate between 35-40 most of the time with occasional dips around 30 or so.

If I engage in battle however, my framerates can get into the lower 20's though it seems somewhat smooth still - I played the entire game at very high settings 1024x768x32 and didn't notice problems much.

Changing graphics settings and resolutions appears to have little effect on this also, until I set everything as low as possible then I get much higher frame rates. It seems odd for that to be so.

This is with my 1800+ pally at stock and a 9700pro with 1 gig of RAM. I blame it on the CPU. I am getting very anxious for a 939 upgrade.

Well, I've noticed that as long as I am above 19FPS, I can't tell the difference. It's smooth enough for me so I don't feel like the computer is lagging. I don't play with the FPS meter on or anything, because I believe that if the game feels smooth, then a numerical value is not needed. If it feels fine to me, sweet! I don't have to upgrade. :)

Me too pretty much, I was surprised when I started looking at FPS - I never did until after I finished the game. I never would have guessed that my FPS were around 20 at times with close up or intense battles. We are pretty much in the same boat it sounds like.

Great game

Such a game that is!!!
Im thinkin thats one of the best games ive played if not the best.
Ive seen some places givin it reviews like 8/10, but its never any worse than 9/10 - 9.5.
I like the way they start you out in a dark crappy room for a short time and then let you walk out into the superb gfx of the out-doors, nice touch !
Im still seeing people saying its not as good as half life? i must have been playing the wrong half life, i just dont like that game at all , how strange is that?

Farcry seems to be a great game so far. I'm only 2-3 hours into it and I like it. Everything seems amazingly realistic and the water looks great (You can even shoot the fish). I noticed jitters when running at maxed out settings, so I put it down to medium and haven't had problems since.

Half life "is" a great game, but I must admit I thought it was annoying going through the long and boring intro. I finished Half life, blue-shift, and opposing force, and I thought the games were worth it. :D

Ya, the shotty works well on the endangered parrot species. :D

That is, until someone hears you... They don't take kindly to poaching. ;)

when I turn the settings to high in the game, I get around 50fps as a median, but when I start jumping around and shooting people it goes into the mid 30's.

I notice random chopiness, even when the fps is still in the 50's when I turn sometimes. Is there some magical setting that I can uncheck/check to fix this type of problem (like there was in Ut2004)?

nightmare3215 said:
I notice random chopiness, even when the fps is still in the 50's when I turn sometimes. Is there some magical setting that I can uncheck/check to fix this type of problem (like there was in Ut2004)?
I'm pretty sure this is ram-related... This is one of the very few games that really can use a full gig of ram. With all settings at very high, it usually uses somewhere between 800-900mb on my machine. I was running with only a 256mb pagefile and I started getting "Virtual memory low - Windows is increasing your page file size" error bubbles in my task tray. With a gig of ram and nothing else running (seriously, not even the spooler service was running), you get the idea...

One of the best FPS I've played in a while in more than one respect. There is the obvious fact that the graphics are just incredible in this game. Have the water set to ultra high setting and boy does it look real. The AI has been one of the most challenging I've faced, and the game is long. Most good games aren't that long, like CoD, but this one will occupy a lot of your time, in a good way :D.

BTW, for those of you who finished the game already, what is the name of the last level? If you feel you are giving something away for those who haven't played yet you can PM me. I just wanna know if I'm on the last mission or if I got more to go.

Back