• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you have played FarCry...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is it the most fun you've ever had in a single player campaign game?

• Yes.

Votes: 95 39.7%
  • No.

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • I think theres a Trigen in my closet... And what's that grumbling under my bed?

Votes: 53 22.2%

• Total voters
If you don't want to know how many levels there are in this game, DON'T READ THIS!!! ;)

masitti said:
I wanna know: how MANY levels are there? I am on like the 4th/5th level...

I'm not sure, but if somebody would tell me the name of the last level I would know for sure, but there the mission I'm on is like the 15th or 16th level, will count next time I load the game.

i got really bored with far cry about 2 hours into it, the only thing that kept me playing was the awesome graphics, but after a little playing i noticed that the storyline was garbage and the game had a real felling of "i did this already". I am a big big fan of fps but they need to include all the key elements to make a great game. Remember this is my opinion so dont hate me far cry fans. But once again, graphics were top notch, but this game cant even come close to being on the "Halo" level of games.

Far Cry just got a 5 out of 5 on TechTV's X-Play. And for those of you that don't know the show, they rarely ever give a game that kind of rating.

twitch, don't knock the game if you don't like it. Halo was a fun game too, but got pretty repetative especially when you got the the parts where you went from one round room to another. I put Far Cry on par with Halo in terms of being entertaining, but because of the graphics, Far Cry gets the upper hand IMO over Halo.

Don't look here if you don't want to know the number of levels or the last level name... Use your mouse to highlight between the following two pipes: |20 levels, last one is volcano|

Halo was graphically very pretty, but I felt it was MUCH more repetitive than FarCry. The walkways in the alien ships (and even the main ship) always looked the same to me, and even the outdoor scenes were pretty much the same. Yay, purple shiny... Or yay, gray shiny... Or yay, outdoor scenes with sparse trees and surrounded by SHEER cliffs everywhere that you can't get around.

Not to say I didn't like playing it, because I went through it four times to beat it on each difficulty level. But now that I'm on FarCry, I'm really not wanting to go back :p

Last edited:
This response goes to both these posts...

twitch579 said:
i got really bored with far cry about 2 hours into it, the only thing that kept me playing was the awesome graphics, but after a little playing i noticed that the storyline was garbage and the game had a real felling of "i did this already". I am a big big fan of fps but they need to include all the key elements to make a great game. Remember this is my opinion so dont hate me far cry fans. But once again, graphics were top notch, but this game cant even come close to being on the "Halo" level of games.

Enigma422 said:
Far Cry just got a 5 out of 5 on TechTV's X-Play. And for those of you that don't know the show, they rarely ever give a game that kind of rating.

twitch, don't knock the game if you don't like it. Halo was a fun game too, but got pretty repetative especially when you got the the parts where you went from one round room to another. I put Far Cry on par with Halo in terms of being entertaining, but because of the graphics, Far Cry gets the upper hand IMO over Halo.

Keep knocking the game if you don't like it... Everyone here so far is in a mad chant of how good the game is, even if it isn't their favorite! A little perspective is a good thing, not something we should discourage! :)

Was there anything else you didn't like other than what you have already said? Myself, I have a hard time understanding how anyone could plain not like it... Unless it didn't play well on their system or they never liked First Person Shooters. That's just my opinion of the game though.

Halo was a hit, but it's best left to the console IMO. After all, that was what it was made for. (ported doesn't count in my book) I had a lot of fun playing that game though too, but I did it on my friends xbox. If farcry looked like this and played like this and was made for the xbox - I would have gone out and bought one pronto.

Need some help from you guys that beat it already. I put my text between the parenthesis so not to spoil anything for anybody

([color=333333]I'm on the last part where you have to kill Doyle, at the crater. I know how to take care of the first few Trigen I come across as to get rid of enough of them to make a dash across the crater, but when I get across, where do I go? Made it across my last couple of tries, but couldn't find where to go and ended up getting killed by the Trigen down there. PM me and let me know. Thanks. [/color])

Might as well discuss hints here, as there isn't much discussion any more other than new people saying how sweet the game is. As always, spoilers need highlighted:

([color=333333]Straight across from the door where you enter the "volcano arena", there will be a large structure in the center with an elevator to get to the top.[/color])

well im not crazy about far cry either

great visuals, but the story is owefull! the caracters are SO scetchy that its ridiculus, i dont "feel" i am jack, i realy REALY dont care about val or trigens or anything for that mater, i just play through to see the next set of prety islands:p

im not joking! the one liners are disicable

there is a lately growing trend in fps to have prety graphics and nothing more. Well i apriciate nice story and caracters i care for that way i wont march armed into a room die, see where the enemies are and then go again prepaired

also the darned voice from the pda, wtf is his name? doyle? yeah him, he is so flat its ridiculus! it is so obviously a devise to make you progress throught the game that they neednt go into the trouble to make him a character...

he is a character for a reason. if you play the game all the way through you will know why

amen epote, i felt the same way, all visual and no story (at least not a good story), i tryed playing it again last night and got very bored very quickly, just went swimming for like an hour in the ultra realistic very very very shiny ocean....:p

Well, I beat the game on medium and I can only say; "uh, wtf?"

The beginning of the game totaly rocked, but half-way through it started becoming a chore. The AI was TERRIBLE. The mercs with rockets would shoot at you no matter what, no matter if they themselves were standing right next to you and would die, no matter if you were standing around a couple of his buddies. *sigh*. Also, the 'bosses' really annoyed me, like the head scientist guy who took 6 direct rocket hits to the face plus 21 more or less direct gernade hits from the OICW to take down.

But, the beginning of the game was fun, and it has huge modability potental. =) Half-Life had a better single-player campaign.

I voted a 3. First time in a long while that a game scared me enough to NOT go down a corridor. Could be because of not actually coming up against one of the Mutants yet. I have only seen one in the cutsceen so far. First time that has happened since Undying. I am in the Research level in the cave at the moment. I will take my time and enjoy FarCry. I am not one of those "Will not SLEEP till I'm done" types.

My only gripe is that I now have a video processing box that is useless. I had to "rob" the 512 meg stick of Corsair XMS from it to put with the stick in my gaming rig to get any kind of decent performance, as in NO lagging. This is with a [email protected]=167fsb running 4:5 on the ram and a 9800Pro @ 415/365. I had the game set at 1024x768x32 at VeryHigh settings, no AA, x2 AF, and it was, to me, unplayable. I have taken most settings down to High with a couple of Mediums, no AA, 2x AF, and it now runs great. This is now with 1 gig of ram and a 1 gig swapfile, permanent, on another drive.

It looks like FarCry is going to cost me about $240.00 to play it. I now "MUST" go out and buy 1 gig of Hyperam PC4200 to put in my gaming rig so I can get my other box back up.

Pntgrd:

i get scared to go down the path in fear of been face to face with the big thing that has infinite rockets inside its arm.

6 rockets wont kill it, but 3 sniper shots in the head will...i mean come on...

lara croft is a character, duke nukem is a character (yeah baby! its time to chew gum and kick ***, and im all out'a gum), gordon freeman is a character

Jack is NOT a character, its an obligatory thing to show of cryengine.

doom had gameplay, AvP had gameplay, Halo had gameplay

far cry has no gameplay...another excuse for a very nice engine

marathon had a storyline, half life had a story line

far cry has a storyline, a BAD one!

its shiny though:p

That seems to be the main gripe from everyone who doesn't like it - lack of storyline. I agree that the story is weak.

I buy a game for the gameplay (gameplay meaning actual fighting and accuracy of shots, proper feeling of controls and interaction) though so I guess it didn't make much difference to me what kind of silly story was in the background... I skipped the storyline in Max Payne too. Never liked story lines in games. The F7 key skips the cut scenes in FarCry if you don't want to watch them.

How can you say Halo has better single player gameplay? The enemy aliens were nearly completely ignorant - they had no ability to hide from you, call for reinforcements, or work together. Not to mention the boards were so small and limited, sheer cliffs, and narrow hallways that were repetitive.

Compared to other games, I haven't seen much better AI... There aren't many games where someone will hold back from firing a rocket round at you because one of their guys is standing by you. The dodging and hiding of the enemy is pretty good, as well as their reaction to noises and the environment.

As for damage on the enemy trigens, at medium settings if you hit them in the head with the rocket launcher it only takes a few... If you hit them in the chest they have an armored breast plate that everything just bounces off of, so you are hurting them very little. You just have to hit them where they are weak.

I don't think the AI is really a valid complaint in comparison to what other games offer - few games have enemies who react to you in unison.

BTW, Twitch it would be wise to maybe check the rules and watch any further comments you make. Warez are against the rules.

there is no way on earth that game will ever compare to halo, halo was one of the most addictive fps ever made, there was just something about the gameplay that kept u comin back for more, plus halo had excellent storyline that felt like u were watching movie while playing. Far cry is good game but is doesnt have that addictive feel that people look for in a game, the feeling of venting frustration and anger through a mouse and keyboard, maybe im gettin to serious:p

twitch579 said:
there is no way on earth that game will ever compare to halo, halo was one of the most addictive fps ever made, there was just something about the gameplay that kept u comin back for more, plus halo had excellent storyline that felt like u were watching movie while playing. Far cry is good game but is doesnt have that addictive feel that people look for in a game, the feeling of venting frustration and anger through a mouse and keyboard, maybe im gettin to serious:p

Uhh, look at how many replies and threads there are for a game that has been out for less than a week. Maybe you wanna open your eyes and realize the amount of critiques, reviews, and amount of people playing already... after a WEEK.

Back