• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im going 2gb.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SewerBeing said:
I have pc4000 VX from ocz tried it at 200mhz @ 2-2-2-8 timings (yes ddr1). Its an issue with the memory controller which on the athlon 64 is on the cpu not the motherboard. Its a cpu issue.
ah ok. one last question, this 1T/2T setting has been around for all DDR right? not something new with a64 right? So its quite possible a board that isnt running an a64 but with 4*512 could in fact be 1T instead of 2T?

again sorry for the threadjack :beer:

pik4chu said:
ah ok. one last question, this 1T/2T setting has been around for all DDR right? not something new with a64 right? So its quite possible a board that isnt running an a64 but with 4*512 could in fact be 1T instead of 2T?

Yes its been around but I only know of being able to change it on the a64. Also the problem is we can't do an apple to apple test of memory controllers between a p4 platform and an a64. However it is possible just that we can't prove it since not many non a64 boards have the option available (I dont know of any that have it).

SewerBeing said:
Yes its been around but I only know of being able to change it on the a64. Also the problem is we can't do an apple to apple test of memory controllers between a p4 platform and an a64. However it is possible just that we can't prove it since not many non a64 boards have the option available (I dont know of any that have it).
more curious about being able to check rather than change it for curiousity sake. Like would it show up in CPU-Z (never noticed) or the BIOS just in general RAM info?

pik4chu said:

Intel chipsets don't really let you know what they are doing like the AMD nF4 platforms do. I was told by SteveOCZ that Intel defaults to 1t. However when I ran 4 sticks things slowed down which might indicate things shifted to 2t.

###################################################
3GB of memory (2x512)+(2x1024)

CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory Read Speed
Xeon 3215 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3200 DDR 3871 MB/s

CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory Write Speed
Xeon 3215 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3200 DDR 1092 MB/s

CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory CL-RCD-RP-RAS Latency
Xeon 3215 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3200 DDR 2.5-3-3-8 103.3 ns

####################################################
1GB of memory (2x512) PDP

Xeon 3215 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3200 DDR 4271 MB/s

Xeon 3215 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3200 DDR 1447 MB/s

Xeon 3215 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3200 DDR 2.5-3-3-8 91.5 ns

#####################################################
2GB of memory (2x1024) OCZ

Xeon 3084 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3500 DDR 4664 MB/s

Xeon 3084 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3500 DDR 1666 MB/s

Xeon 3084 MHz Iwill DH800 Dual PC3500 DDR 2.5-3-3-8 88.7 ns

well, as you can see in my sig, ive allways had 2 gig of ram.
yes, i multitask like a fool, fold, and game.
i have found it helpful. granted it is about $400 worth of BH-6 ( crucial) so its not fast stuff, by any means, and i could have spend my money in better places, but its too late for that now - so i have 2 gig of very expensive - yet not so fast ram.

would 1 gig of ITCHY FAST DDR serve me better? 80% of the time i would say so.
but that other 20% of the time i am WAY thankful for it.

a year or so from now if i were to build a new box, i would say 2 gig of Itchy fast ram would be the minimum for enthusiasts such as us, especially if youre Itching for longhorn. (keeps mouth shut)
right now,2 gigs of the fast stuff ( ddr2 or not) is a bit foreword looking, but not a bad move.

My RAM costs ~$225/2GB kit now.

I kinda wished I'd gone with 4x512MB of TCCD/TCC5 but then there were no guarantees past PC3200 for the OCZ EL Pt rev2 either. Another guy got DDR480 on his DH800 but it was v1.2 and mine is the older v1.0. That might make a big difference.

since this seems to be the 2GB thread and i already searched the forum w/o finding any info on the subject, does anyone have any idea of what kind of mem speed i could expect to achieve and timings i'd need to run 4x512 of 2-2-2-5 PC-3200 memory at? i wanna get the mem as high as possible obviously.
2-2-2-5 2T has been playing nice so far up to 200Mhz. i tried 2.5-3-3-7 245Mhz but prime failed immediately with a sumout error. i know the memory will do those speeds so 1) the controller cant handle it or 2) the timings were too tight or 3) a little of both. I'm hoping to eliminate hours on end of troubleshooting here with some of your suggestions. TIA

Scar said:
i second that statement , BF2 is a serious ram hog. With Teamspeak, irc and norton running in the background it gets a bit choppy.
I was just reading through this thread and so your statement. I was just struck by the fact that you have Norton running in the background. Which Norton are you referrig to? Norton is a very big resourse hog and I keep it disabled as much as possible.

I'm was also thinking of adding 1 gig of RAM to my system but I'm the opinion that I rather wait another half a year. I've two reasons for that:

1. The RAM will probably be really cheap by then (My gig now costs 110 $ and I bet it will be at 60-70 $ by X-Mas).

2. Now I don't need it. In half a year I probably will!

rseven said:
I was just reading through this thread and so your statement. I was just struck by the fact that you have Norton running in the background. Which Norton are you referrig to? Norton is a very big resourse hog and I keep it disabled as much as possible.

NIS 2005

Scar said:
since this seems to be the 2GB thread and i already searched the forum w/o finding any info on the subject, does anyone have any idea of what kind of mem speed i could expect to achieve and timings i'd need to run 4x512 of 2-2-2-5 PC-3200 memory at? i wanna get the mem as high as possible obviously.
2-2-2-5 2T has been playing nice so far up to 200Mhz. i tried 2.5-3-3-7 245Mhz but prime failed immediately with a sumout error. i know the memory will do those speeds so 1) the controller cant handle it or 2) the timings were too tight or 3) a little of both. I'm hoping to eliminate hours on end of troubleshooting here with some of your suggestions. TIA
My RAM for main rig is 4*512 is 3-3-3-8(unchanged) PC3200, I think its at default speeds will have to check. but its also the fastest RAM this board can run and its ECC. so dunno if that helps but there it is :)

Back