• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ingredients of thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. Mfg is an abbreviation for manufacturer.

Im typing on a cellphone (note the lack of a signature) so im cutting corners a bit.

I think you are missing the point IVY.
The only reason that I linked AS5, is as an example of an MSDS sheet because you did not know what it was.

As Earthdog said, you will have to contact the motherboard manufacturer and ask them for the MSDS.

Edit.... rereading your first post, if it was just some random grease that was on the outside of the bag, you have no hope of finding out what it was. You do not know if it was TIM or something else. I'm thinking you are SOL on this one.

Something else? What could it be?! White and almost like oil.

Edit: According to Gigabyte Support, the motherboard is using thermal pads everywhere, so there is not any TIM used.

So i absolutly dont know where the stuff was coming from. Thinking that it could happen everywhere, but probably invisible and people are touching it and absolutly dont know its possible ingridients, its giving me some insecure feeling. Guess there is a good reason for the "wash your hands" description... but still, its not how it should be.

Last edited:
I cant even check the MSDS from Noctua NT-H1 why should i be able to check a random one?
Because other thermal pastes may be from real companies, not mere marketing firms like Arctic Silver who don't know much about their own products. Thermalloy, 3M, and Dow provide MSDS info for their products.

Ok, i made research and Gigabyte lied to me. One of the chips on the sink was indeed cooled by a TIM. I can clearly see the TIM on that picture:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums...Review/Product Images/Heatsinks-Reverse-L.jpg

I guess im still not SOL, the manufacturer could give me a accurate answer, if they are willing to

Besides on progress, it doesnt look so good, its just hilarious how hard it is to get help in such cases. In theory i could get accurate infos but the manufacturers refrain from givin out any accurate information.

I informed Gigabyte:

1. Time: They was lying, told me that there isnt paste used.

2. Time: They protected themself and told me that theyr paste got no critical ingridients but no accurate infos at all. They told me that the stuff did never happen at theyr manufactury because such a board would never have passed the manufactury. So kinda they are trying to tell me that the devil is responsible for.

I doubt it, i know that such failures can happen but im usualy the one with worst case luck it seems because its extremely rare.

I informed the shop and they told me, it did probably happen at the post delivery. I had to smile because it was inside the package not outside. But sure... its everyone fault but surely not the one from the manufacturers.

Thats a very hilarious and stupid world, seriously. Just everyone is trying to protect theyr own benefit and doesnt care about theyr failure. Next time i will instantly give the board back and i wont accept any kind of excuse (they probably gonna tell me that i did the stuff myself).

Now i will throw away everything, except board. Clean the CD, and other stuff related to the board (cables). Thats the last time i accept such a unfriendly behaviour, i will take action instantly if it ever happens again. That stuff will leave my home and i will execute a protest and spread the pictures of the failure everywhere on the net, to make sure the truth isnt oppressed.

Last edited:
All over some product that likely wouldnt harm a baby if they licked it. You have it you paranoid android. :)

Just answer me in honest mood: Did something like that ever happen to you?

wouldnt harm a baby if they licked it.
That we dont know, the ingridients is not known to us. I know chemicals that surely can kill it almost instantly (at least it may be permannently sick) such as beryllium oxide which is known to be inside certain thermal paste. I cant exclude such chemicals, because there is no infos.

I asked Noctua aswell about theyr ingridients of NT-H1: Answer: Top Secret.
There is no possibility finding out whats inside except very expensive labor analysis (because they have to search for everything its extremely expensive).

So fact is, people use stuff they got no clue whats inside, and some may have dirty stuff from the manufacturer. Of coure the manufacturer is exluding the possibility that anything could get dirty.

Last edited:
Sure, but I'm not paranoid about that kind of thing. Now, as a parent would I let my child lick it? Hell no! But I also wouldnt email anyone to find out what it is either if I found some on the outside of a bag or w/ever...

We mentioned before that you will get these type of answers (proprietary formulas).

It makes more sense to me to have faith in companies not putting a out product that inevitably touches your skin to be a known irritant. That makes no sense at all to have that and not have a note on the product.

So fact is, people use stuff they got no clue whats inside, and some may have dirty stuff from the manufacturer.
If this is how you work, it seems like you have A LOT of emails and phone calls to make...

When i use the stuff myself, i do not feel worried because im clean and i dont make such failures such as some of the manufacturers at theyr plant.

But when i get dirty stuff where i was not in charge of it, i have no clue about all the stuff happened. So its impossible to judge the situation. Stuff like that have to be prevented.

Yes im paranoid but for a reason, because i know how much dirt is around and i try to avoid as much as possible. I dont want to end having allergics or what else, sadly to much of people suffer from it nowadays.. and its increasing every year. There is a good reaosn US got the highest medical cost worldwide... its so high that it truly is astounding, i kinda feel like entire US is sick when i watch at the health cost. ;) Something isnt healthy, thats certain.

If this is how you work, it seems like you have A LOT of emails and phone calls to make...
Not really, because i only buy "trusted" stuff. Mainly raw BIO material, so i make the cooking myself from the ground. My home is almost entire made with wood... there is almost no chemicals used.

About other stuff such as TV, there is not truly problematic ingridients because they dont use thermal paste. TIM may contain strong chemicals.

I like computers but they are my biggest headache when it comes to chemicals. Usualy not a problem because the case is clean and i dont touch the inside without washing hands. But when i get dirty stuff then i cant exclude contamination of the whole package. For the board its still safe because it will be put inside the case but the manual and such is simply lost (when someone want to be secure). Finally...something like that should never happen.

Last edited:
Ivy.... Don't eat the yellow snow. Don't drink from a warm beer bottle that you think is yours at a party. Don't eat the Thermal Paste.

Don't touch your car door, someone could of licked it.

mountainmole.jpg

Being more serious I understand your curiosity, I would personally never take it that far. Glad things are ok though. :)

To much stuff happened in my life where the chance was next to nothing, yet it still happen to me. ;)

But thats not the point, the point is that the stuff should never be contaminated at all, and the company wont take responsibility.

Its widely accepted to contaminate in order to produce, thats why its like the most hilarious thing bringing it up.

Last edited:
I know a few people that , you remind me of ( Germ aware ) .
What I dont under stand is knowing your self and that this would all be an issue why did you just not send the MB back ?

I asked Noctua aswell about theyr ingridients of NT-H1: Answer: Top Secret.
There is no possibility finding out whats inside except very expensive labor analysis (because they have to search for everything its extremely expensive).

I sent Noctua an email last night. Look what was in my 'in box' this morning....

Attachments

• noctua_nt_h1_safety_sheet_1.pdf
    424.9 KB · Views: 2,524
/thread

The chances of this stuff harming you is next to nothing. No need to start giant arguments/debates about something so trivial and silly to everyone else.

Really. The packaging of thermal paste would have warnings all over it if there was something toxic in there.

All the companies I have requested safety sheets from have happily given them to me (I'm required to obtain them and it has nothing to do with paranoia. I just ask nicely and at least all the people I have talked to have been happy to oblige.

As for the fear of gaining an allergy or some other medical malady, there is a lot more than just thermal paste to concern yourself over. The point is that I personally find this quite silly but to each their own. Simply return it and move on. You have then voted with your dollar. While I do agree that products should come in a clean or as described state, I think that simply returning it is your best bet. Use gloves if you don't want to touch it. :)

If the TIM comes from Gigabyte or a supplier, and contains hazardous substances, and is being sold in Europe (CE), then it has to be RoHS compliant.

You still can ask (nicely! :D) to gigabyte the RoHS declaration of conformity of the TIM you found on the MB.
Each substance recognized as hazardous in small/ reasonable quantities contained in the product are listed at the end of this declaration of conformity.
It is a redundant document with the MSDS asked by the CE notified bodies in order to give the CE certification.

An other point:

As a former nuclear engineer, I have been exposed to mainy various kind of mixtures with different level of radioactivity / radiotoxicity.
As a current PhD in lithography, I have several times been exposed to HF (fluorhydric acid, not a really sympathetic substance...), SF6, SiClx, etc...
And I am still alive and wealthy!! :D

Just don't panic! ;)
If the substance were deadly, well, you should be already dead.
If the substance were toxic (cancer, ...), then the quantity that MIGHT have penetrated in your skin has to be so small that it's peanuts in comparision with the danger of what you eat and breath...
If you're really not convinced, go do a chemical check up in your hospital.

I know a few people that , you remind me of ( Germ aware ) .
What I dont under stand is knowing your self and that this would all be an issue why did you just not send the MB back ?

Thats not allowed to RMA, because Gigabyte would just retourn the RMA and not accept the whole issue as a "RMA" case. Thats what the vendor said and thats how it works. He wont send the board for RMA because he said, he will simply get the stuff back as a "not passed" case. As long as the MB works Gigabyte will refrain from any kind of replacement. Its totaly up to the manufacturer to accept a RMA, the vendor can do nothing about, they got no power unless its Newegg, they are probably powerful enough to hurt a manufacturer but most vendors have to accept the manufacturers decision.

In real life it all comes up to the power someone got, there is no thing such as equality. Why do you think Newegg can be so cheap and still good service? Because they got power and mass, both is useful to beat others.

According to Gigabyte, it would never have left the assembly and they will protect that view until the very last end because people usualy lack the money to fight for the truth. In that term i would need a labor analysis but it will cost me more than buying the same board 5 time in a row, its low common sense. Labor analysis is above 1000$ and a board is only 200$.

To me it simply means to throw away anything which could have come into contact with, that means the whole package including booklet and CD (actually the CD itself can be cleaned but i already got a digital copy of the content so i dont need it anymore). The board is already cleaned, and as long as not touched its not a issue. Generally i dont touch a hardware without cleaning hands after, for security purpose, so thats a usual condition and not different for other hardware. Same rule does apply to any other hardware, so its not a issue.

But because the package and its content is not able to be exchanged with a new one, i would have to RMA whole board but thats not possible. Finally i simply have nothing anymore except the board itself, thats the result of that mess. Im not responsible for, but its simply reality that i have to accept the failure from others.

Sure, for future i did learn from the mess. I wont accept the hardware and give it back instantly, without any research. In term they say its not allowed i will execute certain actions and set a complaint in a letter to the manufacturer. But prehaps it wont happen anymore, i was just very unlucky as usual. I seem to have very few luck and im way to sensitive, that just doesnt fit, its bad destiny.

Surely, im out of tolerance against bad productions and its failures, i will execute harsh actions against lack of quality. I rather would pay more instead of getting poor work, but im not the one making such decision and i wont have better offers because its the same for all consumer hardware.

I sent Noctua an email last night. Look what was in my 'in box' this morning....
They did not send me that, although i asked for MSDS. However, that sheet isnt complete, some substances are unknown.

Zync oxide is not harmful at all, i dunno why they consider it harmful. Its good for the skin and body, at small quantity. More important to know the other ingridients. Im probably paranoid but im not stupid, as long as i know the stuff i can judge whats safe and what not. When i cant backup its safety, and i know it has been contaminated, then i can do nothing than either to clean and in term its not able to be cleaned (any kind of paper), have to throw away. Not because i think its deadly, its simply for safety, i wont execute a unsafe action as long as i can prevent such a condition. I cant prevent everything but i prevent as much as possible.

Besides: I have zero issue exposing myself to natural dirt (so im not the most paranoid person of the world), i dont even care most of the bacterias, its good for my body to fight them, as more of fighting as lesser problems. But the body is completly helpless against any sort of dangerous chemicals, that stuff is the stuff i always worry about and its important for me not to expose myself to any of those stuff. A body cant fight against chemicals, there is no natural protection. Its the only stuff i truly hate at computers, that they may contain dangerous chemicals. However, nowadays all the parts are usualy safe with the exception of thermal paste... and why the heck did the manufacturer contaminate my stuff with the only unsafe stuff in nowadays computers? Because im the most unlucky person of the world when it comes to hardware? I dunno. Another person may not even care, why cant they just contaminate theyr stuff? The chance is like 1 to 1 Million, and the chance to meet a sensitive person is another 1 to 1 Million, but it doesnt fail to hit.

Well i dont believe into "chance is low"; i know how easely someone can get hit by low chance. I know many people close to me who got hit by something with very low chance, recently something happened which is almost unbelievable but i cant tell its private. In the same term i dont believe into equal justice, justice will increase with power.

But anyway, at least i was able to expand my mental horizon by getting all those input regarding the issue, but a good solution is hardly possible. Best solution would be not to have bad luck and prehaps better labor workers.

If the TIM comes from Gigabyte or a supplier, and contains hazardous substances, and is being sold in Europe (CE), then it has to be RoHS compliant.

You still can ask (nicely! :D) to gigabyte the RoHS declaration of conformity of the TIM you found on the MB.

I always asked nicely, there is no need to shout around because i wont even hit the person responsible for. The responsible person is some sort of unknown labor worker.

When i ask for MSDS all i want to know is science, im not here to place a complaint, that would be done separated from each other (the complaint wont affect the question, its because they didnt accept RMA, thats a completly different term).

However, no accurate infos gotten so far.

peanuts in comparision with the danger of what you eat and breath...
It depends what you eat and breath. I got cleaner air than inside city, and my food is way more quality than the average US food. ;) I only drink high grade tea and fresh water... so you see i do care about health.

:
As a former nuclear engineer, I have been exposed to mainy various kind of mixtures with different level of radioactivity / radiotoxicity.
As a current PhD in lithography, I have several times been exposed to HF (fluorhydric acid, not a really sympathetic substance...), SF6, SiClx, etc...
And I am still alive and wealthy!! :D
It can take 10-20 years until you suffer from the stuff, because younger body may be able to handle a lot but as soon as it gets older it will start to suffer. The lifetime is probably decreased and at high age the health is able to suffer. The stuff usualy isnt leaving the body, it will stay inside and decrease its regenerative power. Heavy metals and radioactive particles (especially those with long duration) for example, once inside, they can stay there the whole life and slowly destroy its regeneration, although no sudden damage made.

So the matter isnt as easy as that. Some stuff will indeed make someone suffer but it got a very huge delay.

Last edited:
Back