• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

INPUT from anyone please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBFoxbat

Registered
A new idea: Pipe machine

INPUT from anyone on this hypothetical cooling system. Note that the Pelt is mounted flush with the case so what the hot heatsink is outside of the case while the cold one is inside. Any thoughts on condensation? Would it help cool the case or is it a waste of a pelt?

Last edited:
very interesting

is the case between the cold side and the heatsink or is it bare
transfer?

a pelt will only work as well as you cool it and im pretty sure a
normal heatsink and fan blowing ambient temp air will cool
the pelt as efficiently as needed. im probably wrong cuz im
no expert but i think it's a great idea and if you go through
with it, let us now how it wokred cuz i'll be the first to try it
if it did :p

Looks like it might work. Be sure the fins on the CPU
HS are lined up with the air coming from the pelt fan.

Will is work well? It can't hurt, but exhausting hot air
out of the case with your tube would help all by itself.
Having a fan outside the case would drive you crazy if
it were anything but a slow speed 120mm job. The
noise; OMG the noise.:eek:

The pelt wont really reduce the temps in your case
much. Having it focused on the CPU would help some.
A parallel idea that may work better is designing a
duct to pull air from outside the case and blow it
over the cold side or the pelt. If you put the fan in
the duct you may not need one mounted on the
cold side of the pelt...just a HS would be needed.

As long as you kept the pelt small I don't think it would
ever cool things enough to cause condensation.

Well...... I have a 10 year old and an 11 year old sister, plus a 20 year old the loves music. If it were ever quite enough in my house to hear the dull roar of a fan outside the case, I would be greatful. I think I'm going to try it. I'm not sure where to get the pelt though.

Another thought I had. How about 2 fans sandwhiching a filter of some sort. I know it's kind of like wasting a fan, but one would push air through the filter (the filter would slow it down) and the other would suck it through the filter, accelerating it again. The fans would be pointing in the same direction. Any thoughts? (I'm trying to figure out what to do with my old 80mm ps fans. The pelt above is one. the fan-wich is another. (I like the fan-wich, don't copy me name! ) :D

PIPE MACHINE

How about this. (see pic in next post) I know pipes will block overall air flow, but I do have a full tower and not alot to produce heat. Maybe a dedicated vacume pipe for my gpu or just a pig one for my row-o-pci-slots. Then I could make one for my RAM.. I smell perhaps (not burnt cpu's) the birth of a pipe machine... any thoughts on putting tons of cooling and heat removal pipes in? I think I like the idea. Taking care of each heat source with its own heat-removal vacume pipe.

IMHO
Using a peltier to air to heatsink to CPU core transfer will not deliver much of the peltiers cooling capacity at the core. It is a very inefficient process and you will need a high wattage peltier to see much benefit over just blowing room air into the heatsink. A high wattage peltier will need a huge air cooled heatsink and fan to make it work effectively. I've played with peltiers and though they are neat devices, they are not miracle devices. For them to really perform, they need the effetiveness of water cooling. They will deliver the most effective performance being sandwiched between a water block and a cold plate resting right on the core. Your efforts would be better served if you simply cut a hole in the case directly over the CPU. Set up the CPU heatsink with the fan on it blowing into it and put a fan in the hole you cut in the case blowing down upon the heatsink fan intake. Take the money you would have spent on the peltier(s) and get one 92x32mm 55cfm and one 120x38mm 85cfm fan. Put the 120mm fan in the hole in the case above the CPU blowing down upon the CPU heatsink. Assuming you are using a mid or full tower, close up the fan hole in the rear with something and assuming your case has a fan hole in the lower front, nibble it out and mount the 92mm fan there blowing out. The only intake will be the 120mm fan over the CPU. The capacity of the 92mm fan, combined with the exhaust fan in the PSU should equal slightly less than the capacity of the fan blowing in. This method, though unorthodox, works great. The 120mm fan blowing in not only boosts the cooling effectiveness of the CPU heatsing, but it cools your entire motherboard as the air deflects towards the 92mm fan in the lower front. Some of the air from the 120mm fan will aslo deflect upward into the intake of your PSU. This is a scaled down version of the "Hoot Chute". I have put together two systems now using this approach. The 92x32 and 120x38mm fans I recommended are fairly quiet. Certainly more so than a Delta 60mm 38cfm fan you often see on heatsinks.

Please don't be misled by the old addage that "Hot air rises". It only rises in the absence of any forced air flow, which is not the case inside your PC. Watch a cigarette in an ashtray in a house. Yep, that hot air rises. Take that cigarette outside and even in the presence of the most subtle breeze, it deflects in the direction of the breeze. In a PC case with adequate air flow, it's certainly a lot stronger than a subtle breeze blowing through it. Guess where the heat is going to go? ;)

Hoot

Back