• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insalled a new SSD- Didn't Mount and other HD doesn't show

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm a little stumped on this one. The rig I'm working on is in my sig file.

I opened the case, put in a new 1TB Samsung 860 EVO into my 5 1/4" bay due to space. I had one spare SATA port. Due to the shape of the SATA cable I removed the SATA cable that my Intel OS SSD was using, and put it into the unused port. Then connected the Samsung to the port that was previously used. The Samsung is plugged into my Seasonic 650 W X series PSU on its own cable in the proper section (SATA/peripheral) of my PSU.

I turned on my computer and the system opened into Windows, but the following was observed.

1. My 1 TB HD drive no longer is visible
2. In the sys tray, bottom right, a standard Windows bubble popped up letting me know the Samsung had the appropriate software installed and is ready - like when you plug in a new mouse and some driver software self-installs or such
3. In explorer, there is dimmed out HD icon called Removable Disk (G: ), but under properties/General tab Win7 reports 0 bytes
4. If I check the Hardware tab of the same window, 4 items are listed- ATAPiHAS224 B (my optical drive), Generic Ultra HS-SD/MMC USB device, my Intel drive is listed, and last my Samsung drive is listed too.

I'm a little stumped how switching SATA port inputs of the Intel OS SDD cable (that's all I can think of) caused me to "lose" my 1 TB HD in there.

Update:

I have it working. I don't know exactly why, but of the 4 red SATA 6.0 G connectors one set is an Intel, and the other set of 2 from Asmedia. I plugged my WD HDD into my spare Asmedia connector. And this was the problem, I can't say at all why this port/HD connection doesn't work, but it doesn't.

So I pulled out my optical drive and plugged that into the Asmedia port, and put my WD into an Intel port and all is working.

One question-- WHAT is the System Reserved Drive that appeared after cloning??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have it working. I don't know exactly why, but of the 4 red SATA 6.0 G connectors one set is an Intel, and the other set of 2 from Asmedia. I plugged my WD HDD into my spare Asmedia connector. And this was the problem, I can't say at all why this port/HD connection doesn't work, but it doesn't.
THe Intel controlled ports are from the chipset/CPU. The ASMedia are there to give you more. Did you install the drivers for the ASMedia ports?

Back