• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Fixes E-Cores For Gaming, Doesn’t Give 12th & 13th Gen Users The Fix! APO Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Skimmed the charts and it is unfortunate they didn't do more testing that mattered to give a clearer picture of what mechanism is going on with the software, and if there is a way to so similar otherwise.

I didn't get a chance to sit through it all, but 2 games (so far)?

I'd also like some details on how this works... maybe Gavin (Anand) or Paul (Tom's) will write something up. Me, I'm going to read all about it. lol

The Intel® Application Optimization determines and directs application resources in real time. This policy optimizes thread scheduling along with application threading for selected software titles and may improve performance for supported applications. System responsiveness may vary based on configuration and graphics card capabilities. Users can disable Intel Application Optimization through this software for all applications or on a per application basis if results are not as expected.

Intel® Application Optimizer is an optional part of the optimization technology that allows users to see what games are optimized and to turn off optimizations they do not want. Users may disable the entire application or disable specific games under “Enable/Disable Individual Applications” tab. The list will vary from user to user, depending on the games detected and optimized by Intel®.

Intel® Application Optimization can be downloaded through Microsoft Store*. Intel® Application Optimization is currently not available for download through Intel download center.

Last edited:
It looks like APO was initially reported some weeks ago but it evaded my radar as it was a footnote in 14th gen release. Will see how this develops.

Thinking more generally on the (lack of) previous gen support, there were bigger changes between 12-13, than 13-14. When nvidia get called out for similar, there is usually a known hardware reason for the difference. I'm not aware of Intel saying similar in this case, or of any known changes that could explain this.

I'm not aware of Intel saying similar in this case, or of any known changes that could explain this.
It could just be a soft limitation... we don't, for sure, know this CAN'T work with older gen e-cores. We know it doesn't, currently. If there's an internal hardware difference, I'd be surprised.

It feels like they give people a reason to buy 14th gen CPUs as they sell poorly, and the whole web is full of "don't buy 14th gen, it's actually the same as 13th gen".
Everything I saw suggests there are barely any changes, so I'm curious if Intel added something on the hardware level or simply locks it with BIOS/microcode or software.

It feels like they give people a reason to buy 14th gen CPUs as they sell poorly, and the whole web is full of "don't buy 14th gen, it's actually the same as 13th gen".
Is 14th gen selling poorly? IMO if someone were to build a new Intel system today, there is little reason to pick 13th gen over the same model 14th gen part. At least in UK, the cost of the 14th model is fractionally more than the same placed 13th gen part. If the price of the 13th gen were much lower relative to 14th gen it could complicate matters, but we're not there. If you have a 12 or 13 gen based system, you probably shouldn't be looking at 14th unless you're moving up tiers at the same time. Older gens will see a big increase regardless.

Wow.. that's what you get for buying 12th and 13th gen parts.

You lousy customers need to spend more money here.

Just brutal.

I am still going to buy a 14seven for my board lol..

Actually, a couple of days we heard that only 7800X3D is selling better than all Intel CPUs together - one of the reposts https://en.overclocking.com/the-ryzen-7-7800x3d-is-finally-a-bestseller/
Intel CPUs are really not selling well when you look at numbers. The same story is in other countries and distribution that I know.
Well, it's a mix one 7000 series up top, several 5000 series, 2 7000 series, then Intel. AMD is selling better, but not sure if Intel considers that poor? I wouldn't expect the 14900K to sell more than chips that costs half the price and a gen old.

People seem to be extraordinarily horny over the X3D chips... and to me, for little reason (improvements are mostly MEH, and sees improvements in a minority of games.

I guess AMD got off the core count wars, lol.

Last edited:
Hard to argue with a top of the line AMD that runs the same or better than a top of the line Intel for gaming, but manages to be ~$200 cheaper on average...

I'd agree that if someone were to build a system with the primary focus on high performance gaming, the 7800X3D will likely fit that sweet spot, in all of performance, price and power consumption. Higher end Intel on average is within touching distance, but we see big differences in some games. Like with Zen 3 generation, the win isn't across the board, but it is an "average" win for AMD here.

I'd also caution at the "14th gen isn't selling" line. Is it 14th gen in particular, or just Intel in general? Those sellers focus on a specific part of the PC space: the self builder or maybe smaller commercial builders who aren't big enough to get a trade account. This is probably only just a small part of the PC gaming space, never mind the wider PC space in general. I really wish Steam Hardware Survey split out CPU models like it did GPU models, as that gives a better indication of what is out there as it would also cover sales channels outside of component retail. Is the self builder crowd even significant compared to big box shifters?

From the mindfactory numbers previously linked:
Ryzen 7000: 1870
Ryzen 5000: 1960
Intel 14: 360
Intel 13: 110

So it looks like even with that limited data, 14th gen is outselling 13th gen that week. AMD is vastly outselling either, but that's beside the point. You could have a stronger case to say Ryzen 7000 isn't selling as well as 5000.

Edit: I found the similar GPU data for illustration about the interpretation of such:
AMD have the volume advantage over nvidia at mindfactory that week. Look at Steam Hardware Survey, and for all the "bad sales" claims nvidia 40 series have attracted, that series alone is greater than all AMD GPU users in total. Not even close.

Last edited:
Well, if 13th and 14th gen cost almost the same, then I doubt that anyone will choose the older one, which is also slower 1:1. It doesn't change the fact that compared to AMD, Intel is not selling well in the last few weeks/months. Even gathered together 360 14th gen CPUs is a pretty bad result when we talk about 3 large suppliers. Even skipping Amazon, MindFactory is one of the largest distributors in the EU and they sell in retail and also to sub-distributors in the whole EU. These numbers are pretty bad.

Edit: I found the similar GPU data for illustration about the interpretation of such:
AMD have the volume advantage over nvidia at mindfactory that week. Look at Steam Hardware Survey, and for all the "bad sales" claims nvidia 40 series have attracted, that series alone is greater than all AMD GPU users in total. Not even close.

The volume also suggests that distribution is not ordering things that are not selling. My local sub-distributors have only a few 14th-generation CPUs available in stock. You can order as many as you want, which will be available in 1-2 days. They simply don't buy things for stock that are not selling fast or in large quantities because of currency changes (everything is in EUR or USD).

Last edited:
Back