• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel q9450 vs. Intel X3350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shakka

I got my computer all laid out, most likely going to order it sometime this or next week, but i'm stuck at the decision of my processor.

Because of the large demand of Intel q9450's i saw that the Intel Xeon X3350 was a copy of it with a different market name and figured this could be an alternative route. Can anyone back this with benchmark scores or another reliable source? I will be using this computer for primarily games. I am nervous about ordering the xeon because benchmark scores show about a 25% difference between the intel x3200 series and the intel q6600. If this 25% difference is true, what is an alternative quad core solution better than a q6600 and less than or around $600?

Thanks for any info - PLEASE post benchmark scores!

There are a few threads in this section regarding the 3550. Currently, we are just waiting for the people to receive, install, then bench. Just hang tight, I'm sure results will be up soon.

I wouldnt bother getting a penryn today. It is going to be outclassed in a few months by a better revision. I would wait for that one and today get something that will hold me over like a cheap dual core overclocked.

When is that not the case? :beer:

True. But being that it is last generation processor for the socket I would rather upgrade to a something that is better perfected as usually I would not upgrade for awhile and I would be PO if Intel 45nm quad was out performed by a new stepping after paying premium price for it just a few months earlier. For instance the B3 and G0 scenario. Also seems like intel is REALLY holding back its top of the line and they already posted some new xeons quads which will be 50w and even a 3ghz dual which is 45w. HALF tthat of the current models. NO THANKS..I' would wait.:beer:

If you wait, you might as well just go on waiting until nehalem and the new socket hit the streets. Personally, i'm going to do a cheap upgrade now to hold me over for a complete system rebuild then.

Right now i have:
amd 64 4000+ s939
1 gb corsair xms DDR 400 PC3200
7950 gt 512 mb
asus a8n5x

When is the new nehalem series supposed to be released? I really wanted to order my comp this week, but is waiting 6+ months worth it or should i go with a cpu on the market now and stop playing the waiting game?

nehalem is slated for release in Q4 2008 if everything goes as planned. It would not shock me at all if actual availability on the street slipped to Q1-Q2 2009 though.

Penryn isn't just quad core, it's also dual core. Example: E8400 is 45nm desktop dual-core "Penryn". T8100 is 45nm mobile dual-core "Penryn". Q9300 is 45nm desktop quad-core "Penryn". The Penryn name was basically given to the 45nm refresh of the Core 2 architecture...

So, if you want to buy a PC this week, go buy an E8400 and a decent P35 / X38 chipset motherboard. You'll have more than enough power for any games today and in the near future, and by the time you need quad core, there will be more compelling quad options available.

Nehalem is an entirely different architecture that will come with a new socket, new chipset, and all the problems and hiccups that always come with the new technology. I prefer not to be an early adopter for these massive changes in architecture, so I would suggest buying an LGA-775 system today and waiting for Nehalem to prove itself -- which it should do without issue if it all works out as expected, but who knows right?

Penryn isn't just quad core, it's also dual core. Example: E8400 is 45nm desktop dual-core "Penryn". T8100 is 45nm mobile dual-core "Penryn". Q9300 is 45nm desktop quad-core "Penryn". The Penryn name was basically given to the 45nm refresh of the Core 2 architecture...

So, if you want to buy a PC this week, go buy an E8400 and a decent P35 / X38 chipset motherboard. You'll have more than enough power for any games today and in the near future, and by the time you need quad core, there will be more compelling quad options available.

Nehalem is an entirely different architecture that will come with a new socket, new chipset, and all the problems and hiccups that always come with the new technology. I prefer not to be an early adopter for these massive changes in architecture, so I would suggest buying an LGA-775 system today and waiting for Nehalem to prove itself -- which it should do without issue if it all works out as expected, but who knows right?

Yeah, that's a sound strategy, Albuquerque. This next step will be a big one for Intel and who knows what kind of problems might be encountered with the first spins of the new architecture. Plus, it will be expensive when it first comes out too I'm sure. And the present Core architecture is by no means slow either, so there is no real reason to wait if you need to build a new system right now. You get great performing technology that is pretty much tried and proven with today's chipsets and C2D.

Back